FFXII PC: Original OST or Reorchestrated?

Modus

It seems today that FFXII on Steam was released as a re-master. There's a very interesting feature where you can choose between the original BGM or the re-orchestrated BGM.

Before I begin my first playthrough ever, which should I choose for the best experience? I've never played FFXII before and music is the main reason I love FF. (I still play Theatrhythm to this day.)

Edit: I've found a comparison on YouTube: https://youtu.be/QZHQRe2vFJY

It gets BETTER? I always thought Final Fantasy XII had the orchestral peak of music for the series, but to think it can be improved upon so much more seems unfathomable.

Listening to some Youtube examples now. 480p seems overblowing it. Maybe I should wait to listen to it on a proper CD if an affordable one becomes available.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:30 AM, Modus said:

Edit: I've found a comparison on YouTube: https://youtu.be/QZHQRe2vFJY

Ooh, this has me hyped.  I love the soundtrack to the original FFXII release but some of those samples, particularly the trumpet and french horns, were iffy at times.  Samples have improved so much since 2006.  I can't wait to hear the rest of the re-orchestrated soundtrack.  "Streets of Rabanastre" and the final boss music are some of my all-time favorites.

All that I remember of XII is that it had sexy rabbit women; I thought it was Disney and Playboy's job to make me attracted to rabbits? It's just wrong.

Anyway, 

On 2/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, Deedubs said:

Ooh, this has me hyped.  I love the soundtrack to the original FFXII release but some of those samples, particularly the trumpet and french horns, were iffy at times.  Samples have improved so much since 2006.  I can't wait to hear the rest of the re-orchestrated soundtrack.  "Streets of Rabanastre" and the final boss music are some of my all-time favorites.

I dunno, A/Bing them I wouldn't really say that the re-orchestrated soundtrack is as dramatically better as you're hoping for.

In fact, I'd go as far to say "Battle With An Esper" actually sounds worse.

21 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

I dunno, A/Bing them I wouldn't really say that the re-orchestrated soundtrack is as dramatically better as you're hoping for.

In fact, I'd go as far to say "Battle With An Esper" actually sounds worse.

19 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

On-topic, yeah, I'm finding some tracks on here haven't quite held up to the title of REmaster. Such is to be expected from such a huge and complicated soundtrack, but it's still true all the same.

Yeah...now that I have actually listened through some of the re-orchestrated soundtrack, I have to agree.  Some of the samples, like the strings, solo trumpet, and some woodwind instruments, sound incredible, while other samples are REALLY lacking.  On top of that, the mixing and orchestration issues in places break the experience quite a bit for me.  It's disappointing, but man, I couldn't imagine having to re-orchestrate nearly 6 hours of music.