OCR00201 - Mega Man "Cut Man Sonata"

m68030

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well...not technically a sonata by its form, but that's hardly anything to hold against this magnificent piece. Once again, McVaffe's accute sense of piano style puts this at the top.

Whether you're a MegaFanatic like me or not - or the kind of person who does or doesn't listen to or mind classical music - it's undeniable that McVaffe is a very skilled musician, and this tune proves it. With the light opening, fluid melody, and the occasional, light-hearted jest, this should be required listening for both the OCREMIX enthusianist and the musically-inspired. I honestly don't think I can garnish enough praise on it :D , especially since so many of the Mega Man games are regularly riddled with accompanying techno-beats whose remixes don't stray very far from the original (despite the wealth of excellent remixers like DiscoDan, AE, etc.). McVaffe really went above and beyond with this one.

BTW, if you find this to your liking you also might want to check out McVaffe's MM3 Gemini Salsa remix of Gemini Man's stage.

• 9 months later...

It has finally arrived. Four and a half years after its arrival, and after many requests for sheet music, I finally decided to do something productive over the summer by transcribing McVaffe's wonderful piece of work. Get your greedy little hands on it by visiting his website.

• 3 weeks later...
It has finally arrived. Four and a half years after its arrival, and after many requests for sheet music, I finally decided to do something productive over the summer by transcribing McVaffe's wonderful piece of work. Get your greedy little hands on it by visiting his website.

You did a great job. I was trying to play it this afternoon (and failing miserably), and it refreshed my mind on how well a job McVaffe did. Short and oh so sweet (note no 'but,' the length in no way detracts from the song).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Cutman's theme seems to be one of those tracks that you should only attempt in certain styles. When I saw it was called Cutman Sonata, I was cautious, but McVaffe has a way of making you enjoy things you wouldn't expect to.

I actually think it is funny just how good this is. McVaffe has taken something fast-paced and energetic, and turned it into an sonata. And it works beautifully.

This track for me is a statement to what OCR are about. Take a remix, and give it your own personal flair. No other remix does that quite as well as this one. Not sure if I can give any higher praise than that. One of the best mixes on the site that I have heard thus far.

• 11 months later...
What do you get when you cross McVaffe with a piano?

Total awesomeness.

Also known as...this piece.

That made me lol because it's so true.

This has a certain slightly emotionally bittersweet pained aspect to it, like the Phantom of the Opera or Davey Jones at an organ except it's Cutman at a piano.

I can also see this being a ballad almost. Definitely one of my favorite piano arrangements

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The melody works surprisingly well with this treatment, though I was hoping for a few more trills and ornamentation. Great rubato, and the track itself is short but sweet. I do think the 2 hands are panned a bit severely, but it makes transcribing things a little easier. :-)

There's some clipping on the left hand side around 2:25, but otherwise it sounds really nice. Another victory for McVaffe!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I love Cutman's theme on just about everything, be it a rocking stage, techno beat, whatever. But the melody of Cutman just seems right at home in this sonata right here. McVaffe brings out the emotion tenfold on this one. Very cool.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00201 - Mega Man "Cut Man Sonata"