Zelda MM: Deku Palace

Vidilian

hey man, this isn't bad at all, very tranquil and soothing mastering and timbre is great. I love that horn synth. my only complant would have to be that thing in the background that sounds a little like a distorted guitar but it kinda fits too. For an ending, might i suggest dropping that distored thing in the back and just let the haromnies and melodies play out, (think blink 182 crappy song feeling it at the end with the vocals). anyway, good stuff, i would suggest not submitting, to perfect it, and i heard from a friend that he was disappionted with the new zelda game because it was too easy and he beat it in a few days.

Hmm, when I took the track you're talking about out of the song towards the end, it seemed to make it really "empty". That track is what completes the song imo. I'll get a version of it without it anyway.

Edit: OK here it is and I've slightly changed my mind about the change. I'd like to know which version people prefer.

4s7p1

• 3 weeks later...

not very deku-ish, which is its most redeeming quality. i hate those buggers, especially that damn butler that you gotta chase down.

i really enjoyed this. it's a little repetative, but i guess it has to be. I did like that you switched it up towards the middle. It almost has a feeling of bagpipers that played tetris on acid the night before. Very spiffy. Me likies.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using Slayer for the guitar? It sounds really fake and is very distracting. It actually works nicely as the background in the last minute or so of the song, but before that no. If you want to keep it then I'd suggest working on humanizing it (which is going to be hard for guitar) and writing more dynamic parts for it, like a real guitarist would play. The drums are also lost in mud whenever the guitar plays; it has way too much low-end and overpowers the song.

This song goes in a nice direction in the last minute. I feel like it's too long of a monotonous build-up to get there though. Some breaks/change-ups on the way could dice up the monotony.

Besides that guitar (ouch :P) this isn't bad, but it needs more work before you submit.

I think it's great that someone is trying music from Majora's Mask for once, and I've always loved this tune in particular. I definitely advise against dropping this project, but I agree; it does need a little work before submission.

The whole composition sounds good to me except for that (what I'm assuming is FL Slayer) guitar thing in the background. It just sounds like it lacks the balls that the song deserves from it's role. I suggest getting some real line-in guitar magic going on if possible, or at least something that doesn't sound so... Midi.

I'm quite pleased by everything else though - very heavy yet mellow at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks alot for comments.

OK, I spent a while on this next one. Sadly I use a keyboard for this song so gettin better guitar samples is a little hard and getting and learning to play a real guitar is not an option at the moment. I've tried to give it some "balls" with some bass and different effects. Hopefully its enough. If not I'll have to think of something else. I've also introduced a bit of panning here and there.

The biggest change is the ending. Its much more mellow now and shorter. Hopefully the song hasn't lost one of its better parts.

• 1 month later...