Video cards and you

Skrypnyk

Quick question for them PC gurus out there.

I'm looking at buying 2 new video cards and I'm looking for recommendations. Some specs I'm looking at:

nVidia

128 mb (or better)

PCI-e

SLi

preferably between $100-150 each.

the one I have my eye on right now is:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1699665&CatId=0

Is it good? un-good? Is there something better out there? Is there a difference whether eVGA or XFX or MSI makes the card?

Any help would be awesome.

I haven't checked the board or the video card, but all GDDR3 means is that it's DDR memory (I'm assuming you know what that means, ask if you don't) in it's third generation, and the G means graphic/graphical. Basically, it's the kind of memory on the video card itself, and doesn't matter what kind of system memory you have.

I haven't checked the board or the video card, but all GDDR3 means is that it's DDR memory (I'm assuming you know what that means, ask if you don't) in it's third generation, and the G means graphic/graphical. Basically, it's the kind of memory on the video card itself, and doesn't matter what kind of system memory you have.

Awesome.

If you were to say otherwise, I'd have to strangle you cause I just bought the video card 2 hours ago.

And now I wait :)

xfx version is an extra 40 bucks D=!

plus with the evga I can get a 20 dollar rebate, which I'm sooo taking.

Now, in my haste to get a new video card a.s.a.p, I over looked one minor minor detail.

These cards are duel DVI, and my monitor is VGA D=!!! .

Now I know vga to dvi converters exist, if anyone knows off hand, does best buy or future shop sells them?

Although you'll want to have the fastest form of system memory your system supports because you'll inevitably be swapping textures between vram and sysram (yes, even with 256MB of vram, at least with the newer games that practically require 512MB of vram), and there it doesn't matter how fast the vram is, it'll be limited by the read speed of your sysram.

Vid cards are oh so easy to get, and really good ones at that. I just got a Radeon X1600 Pro 512Meg vidcard, and man...it rocks the socks.

OK, I'm ready for the Nvidia crowd to show me ATI hate now.

Why? I have an ATI Mobility Radeon x700 in my laptop and it's of comparable performance to my GF6600GT. No complaints here.

you left out the most important piece of information necessary to recommend a graphics card to you. what sort of games do you plan on playing? are you going to be playing oblivion on a 1080p screen? or do you just want a better card for guild wars?

anyways, (in general) you got the card that I'd recommend in that price range. (and purchased for myself a few months ago)

however, the downside to it is that it only has a 128-bit memory interface. (this makes a VERY BIG difference, and is heavily overlooked)

but the only way to get 256-bit in our price-range is with the 6800, where all the other specs will be lower, (less pipelines... lower core clock speed...) which is why I decided to get the 7600.

at least with the newer games that practically require 512MB of vram)

wtf?

modern games don't need any more than 256mb for optimal performance.

now, I suppose the theory is that you have fast system ram, so you can pull through the tough spots when you need to without heavy performance hits, but then there's benchmarks like this

image004.gif

the game I plan on playing is Flatout 2. I know that my current card is 'suppose to' be acceptable, but even on the lowest, shit setting I can get it, the game will start to look like it'll crash, then it'll crash.

So I'm hoping this'll fix the problem, and keep me up-to-date with most of the new games to come out (portals ^__^).

And hopefully, these cards come in this week.

• 2 weeks later...