OCR03741 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 "Galuf's World"

Gario

I've been on a heavy FFV kick lately (currently doing a second run, this time natural-chaos-Krile variant), so this comes at just the right time for me. One of the under-rated themes from this soundtrack, too - I can't say I don't appreciate this submission.

The orchestration is up to your normally high standards, and there are some cool arrangement ideas to help this stand on it's two feet (cut-time for the first iteration of the track to open, then regular time with more sweeping instruments as an example). Before moving on, I should emphasize that your standard orchestration is really good orchestration - people should pay attention to how you utilize different timbres to keep things interesting throughout.

The humanization is as it should be - I could nitpick a few string entrances in the beginning of the track, but at this point it could be personal preference. The high strings could be mixed better, though - when they come into play, they're underwhelming, especially when compared to other lead instruments (such as the oboe). It's not bad, but it's underwhelming. If the strings can't be realistically louder it's not a bad idea to do something like doubling with flutes (a classic Hollywood trick to make high string sections stand out better).

Solid work regardless - it captures the ethereal atmosphere of the source wonderfully.

YES

Poor Final Fantasy V--such a great game, such a great soundtrack, and almost totally unknown in the West.  This is one of my favorite tracks from it (though I have many).

Orchestration and arrangement is typical strong Tripp fare, although there are some unusual harmonies (like 2:02-2:05) that take some getting used to.

Balance could stand to be improved in places, as Gario said.  My biggest beef is with the drums that start at 2:00, which are excessively loud, rich, and resonant for orchestral percussion, especially playing over the quiet woodwinds and strings.  He's right about the strings being too quiet, too, especially in comparison to the celesta and harp.

The drum actually bugs me a lot--it's one of those things that's hard to ignore once you start paying attention to it--but I don't think it's quite a dealbreaker.  I'd prefer it to be fixed but I can live with it.  Everything else is fine.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Gario had a good point re: the lack of realism for the high strings; I agreed with him that they were lacking but not a dealbreaker. Another great example of a structurally conservative but creatively arranged interpretation. Rebecca's ornamentations always add that extra level of personality to the mix. Good work, and glad to hear an arrangement of this theme on OCR finally; been a low-key fan of it for a while. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/12/27 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 5 "Galuf's World"
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2017/12/27) *YES* Final Fantasy 5 "Galuf's World"