Submission Information: 

OCR Album Project:     Skies of Arcadia: Arcadia Legends
Name of game(s) arranged        Skies of Arcadia
Name of arrangement            Undervalued
Name of individual song(s) arranged    Valua City

Performers: 

Vocals: Bree (no OCR account) 

Track Notes: 

I've never played Skies of Arcadia, so I was hesitant to contribute to this album when I was contacted about it, but after listening through some of the OST my decision was pretty quick. There are lots of great themes in here, and the wide array of instruments and styles give it a lot of remixing potential.

Valua City stuck out in my mind as an interesting track to remix because of how slow, sullen, and almost ambient it feels at first, but then how it gradually builds to something that feels more driven and hopeful. I've been recording lots of "ooo/ahh" vocals lately for a few different projects, so that approach immediately came to mind for this, and I think it fits pretty well with the general vibe of the piece.

One of the most interesting shifts in the original track for me was the entrance of the percussion, so I emphasized that shift a bit more in my remix. I also tried to keep the instrumentation minimal, partially to evoke a sort of hopeless emptiness... and partially because my previous (and first!) OCR contribution ("Thick Jams") had... a lot going on.

What a lovely soundscape. Love the combination of sax choir and choir choir. Really ethereal and haunting. The original melody isn't the easiest thing to remember, so I had to do a back to back comparison, and it's pretty much there. The slow melody combined with some transposing of melodies made it a touch difficult at times, but I'm good to say it's definitely there. Very little to nitpick here, though I felt at times that there would be a lot of walls of sound at times, and the soundscape can get pretty full when it happens. I didn't feel like anything was being drowned out necessarily, but there are some busy sections.

Nice work!

YES

I hear the source very clearly, so no doubts there.  I'm not a fan of the dirty drum samples, which make the soundscape sound more cluttered than it really is, and 2:32 sounds severely dissonant to me, but otherwise this is pretty hot stuff.  A good choice for the album's mixflood when it comes out.

YES

The track is smooth, the production is excellent, and the arrangement is on point. The dissonance at 2:32 sounds like a passing tone, to me - nothin' wrong with a bit o' dissonance to spice things up. While I think the drums add a nice bit of character to the arrangement, I could see some thinking they don't fit the rest of the soundscape as well as they should.

Still, I'm a big fan of this one. Looking forward to the rest of the album, as well!

YES

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2017/10/24 - (3Y) Skies of Arcadia 'Undervalued'
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty clean mix coupled with some unusual (and a bit eccentric at times) percussion elements, which I rather liked.  Nice arrangement as well, I did hear one note that sounds intentionally dissonant to me and after checking the other J's comments seems like they heard it as well, but again, this seems flavorful rather than a mistake.

I liked the chorus for the most part, though some of the low notes sounded a bit exposed on the mix to me.  Either way, that's a nitpick as this is just a solid remix.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/10/24) *YES - TAG* Skies of Arcadia "Undervalued"
  • Liontamer locked this topic