VOCR: Vocal Remixing Compo- WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Jillian Aversa

Sorry I didn't vote, everyone. Congrats to the winners! The rap tracks especially caught me off-guard...was really impressed my the lyrics and how fast everyone can throw those words. Bladiator's intro was especially funny. Clorophil really impressed me. I didn't know that Zyko had it in him, too.

Of course, Pixie is as impressive as usual. Loved it. But wow Malcos...very nice pipes, man. You put up a good fight against Pixie, which is of course the most experienced vocalist of them all.

Again...congrats to everyone. Looks like Zircon's planning a huge vocal collab here for all the winners.

Pixie, if I may ask a question : what gear did you use in recording (and mixing) your voice ?

I used my new Samson C01U USB mic (with pop filter and shock absorbing stand), and Garageband for editing! Not sure if I like how the bridge section turned out with the FX I used, but zircon's a production guru, so if we keep it in I'm sure he can spruce it up.

Yay! I can't wait to work with you guys!!! This is gonna be an awesome mega collab, assuming everyone's all for it.

Good job on a successful, first-time OCR vocal contest, you guys!

Malcos, I really dug what you did with the chorus. Good job controlling your voice and writing complimentary harmonies. Your vocals sound clean and well produced.

pixie, your vocals are divine. Simply awesome. You also happen to have wonderful production skills to boot. Scarily enough, as I was working on ideas in my own head for this comp, your initial "ooooh"'s sounded exactly like mine, haha.

bladiator, good job as well with your chorus. It's catchy and original, which is always a plus in my book. It's quite memorable in that respect as well, because of your choice of lyrics. After my 2nd listen, I was already singing and humming it, even during times when I wasn't actually listening to the song.

It just goes to show that the way lyrics mold themselves to the melody is every bit as important as coming up with an original melody to begin with. Lyrics have the potential to make or break a song and it seems you all have an understanding of that. Good job again, guys!

No, no pitch correction tools used at all, my friends will tell you I hate that kind of stuff. I do often double track my vocals though (record twice), and that can sometimes my pitch sound better than it really is. I don't use pitch correction tools at all in any of my vocals - it's waaaaaay too much effort to set something like that up, and then correct it, while it takes seconds to just do another take. And if I can't reach the note, then I can't sing it, tough luck, I just come up with another melody that is in my range.

that's like saying reverb is for pussies.

i'm not saying it should be allowed for this compo, but pitch correction has been a standard practice in recording studios since the 80s and it was in use even earlier.

bro, since when did your sense of humor tank so profoundly?

c'mon - that reaked of sarcasm so badly, you can't even use the internet as an excuse

i'm sorry, it was so funny that it blew my brains right out of my skull. i was just taking a break from wiping my mind-goo off the walls to respond in the first place.

but really, i see those exact sort of comments frequently. you do too, obviously.

you weren't serious but somebody is thinking that exact thing. so i went for it anyways.