Sir_NutS

#belatedshamelessselfpaneling

Artist: Sir_NutS
Name of the games arranged: Journey to Silius
Name of the arrangement: 0373
Name of the individual songs arranged: Stage 4

Link to remix: 

Link to original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf5FIMCbu18

So a couple years ago I released my first (and so far, only) remix album through OCRecords.  It was a tribute to Journey to Silius.

People may wonder why I chose such a relatively obscure game to pay tribute to, when a lot of people are going for the big classics, the great, well-known composers, or the new popular thing.  Well the answer for me is simple, I love this soundtrack.  Mega Man 2 was the first game that made me actually stop to listen to the music, but Sunsoft games solidified the concept of memorable 8-bit videogame music to me.  (well, Konami games too).

These were songs I was humming at school without realizing it, and elevated what would be an OK game to another level.  I just love every single song in this soundtrack and they are some of the few songs that have real nostalgic value to me and actually, really take me back in time.

So that's why I did it, and I'm pleased that people seemed to enjoy the work and it probably means I didn't completely butcher it.  Anyways, regarding this remix, it's probably the most complex of the album.  It has a mix of Big Beat, Metal and a touch of 80s sensibilities thrown in.  I had a ton of fun doing this one, probably more than any other remix in the album, and I think it does a good job representing the whole album thematically. It ends with a big finish, which in the album leads into the softer ending theme, sort of a goodbye to what is overall a high-energy compilation of remixes.

I hope it's good enough to be in the front page, enjoy!

(If this gets accepted, I believe Larry can fetch the wavs from the album release ;) )

Those are some phat as hell synths, with meaty drums to compliment them and a solid balance in the mix. The arrangement itself works great, too - it knows when to go hard and when to give the listener's ears a break. Great stuff all around; I've got nothin' to give it but my praise.

If I saw this in the inbox I'd have just said this doesn't need to be on the panel and given it a DP, but you put it on the panel yourself (you sneak!) so instead I'll just do this...

(Easy) YES

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, pretty slick beats.  Definitely enjoyable all around.  I'm not totally without critique, though.

First, it does seem quite loud.  Since I'm only able to stream it in Bandcamp, it's hard to A/B it accurately and can't analyze it in detail, but it was eardrum-blowingly loud at the volume level I started out at.

Second, while I do appreciate the variety in the track, it does get a little meandering at times.  The chaotic riffing at 1:38-2:05 is at odds with Sunsoft's classic melody-driven stylings, and something about the rock section starting at 3:22 makes it seem out of place despite using the same bass and drums as the bulk of the piece.

Overall, I love this, though.  Thanks for sharing both this track and your love of the game!

YES

• 7 months later...

Keeping it quick here, I agreed with MindWanderer's crits, so props to his dedicated ear. I thought the rhythmic changeup from 1:38-2:06 was bizarre/jarring, breaking the flow of the track without reorienting itself, but with the rest of the piece being solid, it's not a issue I'd hold this back on. That said, the arrangement definitely checked out with no issues. JtS doesn't get enough recognition by a longshot for what's a criminally underrated OST. Mike's got some excellent work here on Silius : 0373, so make sure to check out the whole album with this mixpost as a nice teaser!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/02/14 - (3Y) Journey to Silius "0373"
  • 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2018/02/14) *YES - TAG* Journey to Silius "0373"
  • Liontamer locked this topic