OCR03849 - *YES* Contra: Hard Corps "Maximum Contra Overdrive"

Gario

Remixer Name - Black Ace
Real Name - Alexey Bakhmetyev
E-Mail - cjblackace
Website - www.blackace.ru
UserID - 34929

Name of Game - Contra Hard Corps (Sega Genesis)
Name of arrangement - Maximum Contra Overdrive
Name of song - Contra Overdrive
Game info - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra:_Hard_Corps
Original track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwCf8w-9vGs
Release Date - 05 November 2017

Nuts edit: original track link is broken, and it was broken since the time it was posted, IIRC (I listened but did not vote right away then).  Here's a good link: 

Jesus, can't believe I missed this one in the inbox - a Contra Hard Corp remix? And a freakin' good one, to boot - the production values on this are great, and the style is so obvious for this game it's shocking it doesn't have more arrangements like this.

As much as I want to give this track unending praise, it does have a few shortcomings. Notably, this does feel pretty repetitive. Any section that repeats over and over does tend to have subtle builds that make every repetition slightly different as they go on, but I'm not going to lie - the repetition seemed excessive, even considering the style. Might want to have someone who's more into these genres (@Sir_NutS, maybe?) to say if this is just a thing that happens in the genre.

The piano part could use more reverb on it (sounds distractingly dry), but otherwise the track nails it everywhere else. I'm not QUITE going to chalk up the repetitiveness of the arrangement to style, but I will acknowledge that it has something to do with it. It does everything else so damn well, though, that I'm still willing to give this a solid pass.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

this is a great style adaption for the track. The percussion is pumping, and the rhythm section really pushes the energy throughout. I'm going to definitely agree about the repetitive part, that was what sick out to me first. That being said, I'm also going to agree that there's a lot of subtle changes to keep this as fresh as possible within the constraints of being a repetitive track. I do think this is fine as is, though I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting some of the fat trimmed off here. 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/06 - (2Y) Contra Hard Corps 'Maximum Contra Overdrive'
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a pretty good adaptation to the kind of eurodance style & artists I used to listen to as a kid such as 666, though it has a slightly more aggressive edge closer to Eisenfunk.  The production is a bit iffy for me, specially in the low/low-mids where I felt the mix got quite muddy and busy at some points, but other than that most of the synths and various embellishments are clear.  The filtered 303-like arpeggio reminded me of some preset sequences in Propellerheads' Rebirth, which was the first music tool I got my hands on, and here they sound true to genre.

The arrangement isn't too far from the original but it does vary in structure, and the differences lay in the adaptation which works really well.  Overall this is pretty solid and super hype.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/06 - (3Y) Contra: Hard Corps 'Maximum Contra Overdrive'
  • 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2017/11/06) *YES - TAG* Contra: Hard Corps "Maximum Contra Overdrive"
  • Liontamer locked this topic