OCR01530 - Wild Arms "Visions of Kin"

djpretzel

Sweetness been waiting for this to get posted. It was beautiful sounding when it was in the WIP section, and still friggin beautiful now. I def think the pieces strong point is it's emotion. The feel of the melody reminds a bit of the ending song to the last episode of Full Metal Alchemist, which is an absolutely killer song.

Besides all that jazz I got a one sentence review prepared for this:

It is tasteful, exsquisite, and flows like a fine wine.

Shame on people, didn't everyone used to be an orchestral whore at some point?

Contrary on what others think, this gave me a great sensation of my own experience in the game. The way the instruments are handled in the production is what warmed me, very soft and gentle tone. Samples blend with great effect. Around 2:45, the brass was suddenly very dry sounding, I felt this broke from the mood a bit :( giving a sort of, cheesy TV effect if you know what I mean. That's my only down side to this song.

The arrangement is certainly endeering, very cinematically brought forward, good enough for a quality anime if I might say. Nicely brought together, emotion and atmosphere is definately limelighted.

Nice one!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Very nicely done; I agree that it really does feel like you are having a conversation with the music. It's been over a decade since i've played this, so I don't remember the original well enough to talk arrangement, but there are enough mood changes throughout to suggest that this isn't just some PS1 town music.

Some of the samples fall a little flat, most notably the solo cello , but ensemblewise, things are nicely blended. Once the soundfield gets full near the middle it sounds very good.

The best for last is the final 12 seconds or so. The piano and harp phrase itself is worth the price of admission, and is strong evidence that harp, piano, and heavy rubato have some secret seratonin-boosting effect on me. Absolutely phenomenal. I could seriously listen to the last phrase on loop all day, and an entire mix in this style would be amazing.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So never having played any Wild Arms games back as a kid, and only just have finished with Wild Arms: Alter Code F, I actually have some familiarity with the source!

With that said, I had a hard time recognizing it, but it could be that I've only been recently acquainted with the music. I'm impressed with the delicate approach the mix takes though - it's quite moving, so it accomplishes that goal excellently.

• 2 months later...

Everything here feels so mellow and relaxing, telling the listener to slow down for the world will still be there tomorrow, which owes a lot to do with the minimalist approach. This feels like it was composed with the meticulous precision of a painter. Each measure feels like a carefully chosen stroke of color, each having their own meaning and purpose. Nothing has gone to waste here.

'Tis a really nice mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01530 - Wild Arms "Visions of Kin"