Gario

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Name of arrangement: "Take Flight"
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: "The Flight Range" 
  • Link to song: 

A little about me: 

Hi Guys! My name is Larry, and I've been a long time lurker here at OCR, since I was in middle school (so over a decade, wow!) and I'm proud to submit my first mix to you!  
I definitely wouldn't consider myself "new" to music production--I started messing around with FL Studio when I was 14 and did it all throughout highschool and college as a hobby, but I took a 5 year or so break to focus on other things (got married, had kids, etc).  In those 5 years, I grew a lot in my piano playing and songwriting, and it's been a lot of fun to come back to making electronic music with a widened perspective of music. "Fusion 42" is technically 2 people- myself and my best friend, and 42 was our room number in college, hence the name.  This track was produced by me, but we have more collaborative stuff coming out soon that we have both worked on.  We have a broad array of genre's that we are into (by day I'm a gospel/jazz keyboardist and songwriter) but Fusion42 is going to be strictly for electronic music--trance, EDM, hip hop, you name it.  We're having loads of fun so far and our personal goal is to release 1 track per week.  

On to the mix:

This is a trance remix of "The Flight Range" from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.  I've played the heck out of Breath of the Wild this year, but somehow never noticed this little theme until watching my wife play a few weeks ago.  It's a simple, melancholy little tune that plays in the Flight Range, and it's easy to miss.  But it's little chimes really hit me, and trance just felt like the right genre.  I've long enjoyed listening to uplifting trance music, and remixes from the likes of bLiNd and Jewbei from back in the day are among some of my favorites on the site. I still go back and listen to bLiNd's "White Skies" remix very often--good stuff! 

The fun part about making this was trying to fit the 3/4 theme into a 4/4 beat.  I ended up reworking the melody a bid and adding a little to the tail end.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I feel like the emotion of the original song was captured pretty well at the drop/breakdown section.  
For those curious, this was all done in FL Studio, and mostly with free plugins / Sytrus.  
As for the mix itself, I'm working really hard at getting better, and I do feel like I have room to improve, but this is definitely my best effort in this genre.  I actually had a few longer versions of the song, but decided to cut it short to avoid being too repetitive/lengthy, which I think was a good choice now that I hear the final product.  

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to evaluate this, and I hope it makes you smile!  

-Fusion42

• 2 weeks later...

Classy!  It's a clever take on the source and has a good beat.  I'm not sure how many people would automatically ID the source of this one, but there's no doubt it's there.

It could use some production improvement, though.  It's quite busy in the highs; the cymbals are especially problematic because they bring in a lot of hiss that just adds muddiness to the soundscape.  At 2:41 and 4:38 there's what sounds like a crash with an infinite tail that just adds white noise until the end of the section.

Volume balance is off, too.  2:14 has a very loud effect that drown out the music and which I actually found slightly painful; the chime at 5:05 was also painfully loud.  The snare is also too loud in places, especially (2:32-2:41).

I don't think those issues sink the piece, though.  I'd be a lot happier if they were fixed but I think it gets the job done as-is.  Very nice debut work in any event!

YES

The original source is definitely subtle, and I like how you worked it into your mix. I felt the flow worked really well with sections not overstaying their welcome. Going to nitpick that the transition at 3:42 is a little awkward and the track loses a bit of its flow as a result. Aside from that there weren't really and major crits in my book. Nice work, hope to hear more from you soon.

YES

• 1 month later...

Definitely a throwback to some years ago when a lot of people around here were doing this kind of remixes (including me),  proof that trends go in a cycle of cool > not cool >retro cool.  And yes I do think this remix is pretty cool.  Production is ok, the blind influence is is evident but it falls a bit short of reaching the clarity and quality of something like white skies, a bit crazy to think of since that song must be like 10 years old now.  Comparisons aside each remix must stand scrutiny on its own and this is just referential as the artist said it was an inspiration, and on its own the production here makes the cut.

The arrangement is super tropey, but the adaptation is where this shines as the translation from something sparse and on a different time signature to this genre was done very well.  The artist has a good grasp on how to build a good song structure, and really, a lot was built from scratch in order to fill the soundscape of this remix of a source that's pretty much a simple melody played on chimes.

YES 

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/11/17 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 'Take Flight'
  • 5 months later...

Intro builds up steadily. Lead melody hits us sparsely at 0:40. The pacing while punchy, carries a calming feel with it. Instrumentation is fairly minimal as we hit the first breakdown at 1:40. A pair of plucky sounds build things back up into a full soundscape from 2:15 and again at 2:41 where the main hook plays. Instrumentation still remains fairly basic but does the job well. The second breakdown at 3:36 changes up the melody and rhythm with mostly familiar backing elements. I found the sound effect at 4:33 a little jarring, it plays a little too long and carries some sharpness. Things close off fairly suddenly after the 5 minute mark and could've been more developed.

On the mixing side things are done fairly well - while improvement could be made with some of the separation each part, I feel things are audible and well fit into the sonic space provided to them. The same sound fx were used a little too often for my taste, and I would have preferred to have heard some more varied sounds across the mix in general to make things feel more varied - particularly during extended sections of similar melodic content. Overall, some niggling concerns with SFX and variance in arrangement - but not enough in my opinion to drag this back. A solid interpretation of the original.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/11/17) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "Take Flight"
  • Liontamer locked this topic