OCR01554 - *YES* Super Castlevania 4 'Curse Curse Revolution'

Liontamer

I wanted to do something new and fresh. With the ddr feeling.

So i composed this little thing with cv4 themes :) I hope you like it!

// NoppZ

-------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=scv4 - "Bloody Tears" (scv4-19.spc)

Definitely feeling the lo-fi intro, though a bit too "verby". Nice groove coming in at :17. Love the way it gradually went from lo-fi to clean, but it started to get way too trebly and blistering around :38. The treble's over the top and needs to be pulled back.

Much like "Hyrule Party Mix", this has a simple clap groove supplementing things that doesn't integrate well with the rest of the arrangement. When I first heard it, I said "what the fuck is this?" IMO, with "Hyrule Party" it worked better than it does here. It does indeed sound pasted on, especially given how loud it is. DDR songs, as brief as some of them are, tend to have more sophisticated and better produced beatwork. Nonetheless, the negative effect of the claps not meshing well lessened over time.

Much like "Hyrule Party Mix", the arrangement of the source material was strong. I really appreciated all the work put into the bassline and supporting instrumentation; most people don't bother so much with those details. Things were so interpretive and comprehensive on that level, that I can't vote it down just due to the claps not gelling with the rest of the song. It's almost like reverse groove bias.

I'll hit up Filip about a possible re-encoded version that tones the treble down a bit, but otherwise I'm feeling it. It took a while to come around to the strengths of the arrangement and not be so put off by that overbearing, bread-and-butter clap pattern, but I'm glad that I did.

YES

• 1 month later...
Love the way it gradually went from lo-fi to clean, but it started to get way too trebly and blistering around :38. The treble's over the top and needs to be pulled back.

QFE. My ears almost popped off in that spot.

Wow, this is cheesy to the max! Everything from the vocal samples, to the 80's synths, to the four on the floor dance beat... Definitely DDR worthy. You really took this concept and went with it, which is admirable; lots of bold stylistic choices! A few sections seemed a little empty to me, in terms of source material, but you made up for that pretty well with the Vampire Killer quotes.

The breakdown starting at 2:54 lacked some sort of transition, and the 3:57 key change was likewise abrupt, but those are relatively small gripes. I really love the "lurching forward" movement you gave the VK melody quotes (where Shael Riley's "Doesn't fight Dracula- only makes pancakes" lyrics would be in his OL ReMix, haha).

It's good. I like eet.

YES

I'm in agreement with Larry on the intro. It's lo-fi, but I don't think it works really well musically. I would try a different effect there, maybe something automated. Anyway, once the vocals come in, the use of effects is stronger, so it's not a big deal.

The production sounds kind of off to me. The volume is perhaps too loud and the highs are piercing. It also seems like the frequency spectrum is rather full for most of the mix, not giving the listeners' ears time to breathe. With some of your other mixes I think you had it balanced more in that respect. 2:54 is a nice breakdown but you could have done some stuff before that. Because of the full frequency spectrum I also felt like the leads were a bit buried. The beatwork is on the lame side, I have to agree; the clap is loud and the sequencing isn't that varied. It gets the job done but I don't feel it's particularly polished or creative. Switching up the four-on-the-floor pattern with a different pattern every so often would have been a welcome change, even if you didn't change the existing one much. Lastly, the "Don't Hold Back..." vocal sample is cheesy (not a big deal) and doesn't quite line up with the beat sometimes.

While I'm not feeling the arrangement quite as much as Larry, the interpretation factor is certainly there. There are variations, original sections, and the treatment of the original is creative. I like the Vampire Killer quotes though the transitions are a little on the awkward side. I'd say this aspect is strongly above the bar based on other, similar mixes we have posted in recent times.

This remix is somewhat borderline for me. There are numerous production issues, but the arrangement is strong enough (despite a weak ending). The deciding factor for me is that there IS a lot of creativity going on, even if the execution is on the weaker side. It's just enough to push me into yes territory. A re-encoded version with better EQing/mastering would not hurt, of course.

YES

I can't really explain it, but after listening to this remix I feel like I should resist "holding back". With that in mind....

Turning the source into a bouncey, sugary, DDR house track is definetly a creative idea. Not something I'd ever want to listen to again, but I think on many levels you accomplished what you set out to do. To summarize, the arrangement works for me.

All the lo-fi stuff is weird, and could probably be executed better. Also, the vocal samples grate on me by the end. However, I'm gonna stave off my personal bias and say that this lands on the sunny side of the bar.

BORDERLINE YES