OCR03853 - *YES* Splatoon "Full Sleeve [InK Me uP]"

Gario

Very nice approach - crisp synths and phat beats are on the menu for this one. The source is pretty easy to hear, and the flourishes are well placed.

I would LIKE to say the production is great too, but there are a few instruments that are so loud in the mix that it causes ducking from everything else in the arrangement. Specifically, the supersaw bass just overwhelms in this - every element in the song suffers when it's present, and it's virtually always present. The drums cause a little ducking too, but that works well enough in this style so I'm not too concerned about it.

I'm 90% sure this could be fixed by simply either lowering the volume on the mixer for the bass saw (or the output on it's compressor, etc.) and it would make this track easily postable, so I'll give it that conditional.

YES (Conditional on bass saw levels)

Man, I miss the music of Splatoon 1.  The sequel's music just isn't as catchy.

Unfortunately, Gario's totally right.  The balance is just wacked, with the leads squelched under the bass and kick nearly the whole time.  It's a really cool and fun arrangement, but it's really hard to appreciate in its current state.

Since OA is on record as saying that this is not a "conditional" level fix for him, I have to go either Yes or No, and ultimately I don't think this kind of severe balance issue is something we can let slide.  I still really hope he can find a way to fix it, though.

Edit: Seeing three YES votes made me come back and revisit this.  The saw is still way too loud, but there's little overlap between it and the leads and the leads are rarely hard to make out.  The kick definitely sounds like it's causing pumping, but it isn't severe and really only stands out when you listen closely.  I still think there's a lot of improvement but I'm willing to push it over.

YES (borderline)

• 4 weeks later...

Have to agree with MW, I think the balance is a bit off, mainly with the bass.  But I'm not sure it's that big of an issue to reject this, specially since I'm not using my best setup right now.  However I've compared this to some of my own stuff that's pretty bass-intensive and this seems indeed louder, plus it's definitely taking over some other elements where it shouldn't. I'll finish this vote after I get home, in order to listen on my best setup, but I wanna say that arrangement-wise this is pretty much over the bar.  The source is recognizable but the personalization is there and it's clear.

I'll be back later!

EDIT: Listening on my good setup now.  I disagree with Gario that the drums are causing ducking, there's some sidechain going, not the drums themselves causing the compressor to act up, that's a very distinct dynamic sound.  On my good setup the volume of the saws don't bother me as much but they're definitely loud.  I can hear everything else though thanks to the stereo separation, which wasn't as clear on my first listen this morning.  Overall I think this would definitely benefit from the saws being lowered in volume but I don't think it interferes with the clarity of the mix per se.

YES (Borderline)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/11/27 - (1Y/1C/1N) Splatoon 'Full Sleeve [InK Me uP]'

Man, I still love the 1:01 section, it really tires everything together so well. Similarly I'd like to note that I never noticed the squish noises before and it was a nice touch. I can hear the issue with the saw bass and I think while it wouldn't hurt to bring it down a touch I didn't find it to be a deal breaker. The other parts are still clear and the energy is high.

It's both kid and squid to me!

YES

• 5 months later...

The big synths in stereo spread add a lot of width and impact, and while they draw a lot of attention, they surprisingly don’t take up as much of the low end as I was expecting. As the mix progresses however the bigness of these synths seem to be the main causality for your mix issues - mixing levels are affected due to the size (volume and sonic space) of some of these synths, needing other parts to be cranked up so they can be heard. Better use of complementary EQ curves would’ve worked better here, and further to this I feel some additional thought should've gone into selecting what should be foreground and background material, because a lot of of what you have going on wants to be both. Some of the lighter drum rolls are overpowered by the strength of the synths. There isn’t any major breathing room issues otherwise, which I also found surprising considering the volume that everything is trying to pump out at. I think the arrangement is a good take on the original - while it follows somewhat of a similar structure, it does bring in a number of lead elements (riffing) which do add to the mixes own identity. Mixing problems aside, I don’t have any major issues here.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/11/27) *YES - TAG* Splatoon "Full Sleeve [InK Me uP]"
  • Liontamer locked this topic