*NO* Polygonet Commandos 'The Future Is Now'

Gario

• ReMixer Name: donadavs
  • Name
  • Email address:
  • Name of game arranged: Polygonet Commanders
  • Name of arrangement: The Future is Now
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Energy High (Expressway Stage) and a small part of Super Bomberman 2, Area 5.
  • Composers: Junya Nakano, Yuji Takenouchi
  • Systems: Polygonet Commanders: Arcade, Super Bomberman 2: Super Nintendo
  • Link to the original Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-vD6rIjXrcK6y6K6d6OFxo0jiX7YDRmp
  • Comments about the mix: I felt this song was begging for a 90's remix in the spirit of 'Twilight Zone' by 2 Unlimited.

Hmm... This is an example of a track with some really great ideas and some execution choices that don't work in it's favor. For the good parts, the bass synth design and drum work is quite cool, and that robo-voice has a real oldschool feeling to it (reminds me of the classic "All your Base" video of yesterdecade), and all of that is handled in a way that keeps my interest. I can hear the Polygonet Commando source well enough throughout the arrangement, too, so at least we're covered on that front, as well.

As for the rest of the sound design, it's pretty vanilla, and unlike the bass the other synths don't really seem to be doing much other than making sure the notes are being played. Not going to lie, that just makes the track sound plain and uninteresting outside of the elements mentioned above. The other SFX used are mixed in a way that they pop out too much, as well; the "OI" at 1:15 and "Woo" at 3:13 are just too loud in the mix, so they really need to be lowered in the mix. Any moment the piano is playing it ends up sounding dry and mechanical - some reverb and dynamics would help give that some more life.

The production isn't bad otherwise, but the vanilla design, strange mixing of SFX and dry, unrealistic piano set this a bit below the bar. TBH I'm closer on this than I thought, but there's enough that adds up to me saying this needs another pass before we post it on the front page. Good luck with the rest of the panel!

NO

I can't argue with anything Gario said.  The piano is thin, the soundscape is thin, the synths are plain, the two vox effects Gario mentioned are too loud.  It's much better where you're using the full frequency spectrum (0:29-0:51, 2:42-3:40), but those sections have some balance issues.  I'd also have preferred it be a little less repetitive, but it's not too bad on that front, especially considering the source.  Try taking this to the workshop forum for some more detailed feedback and I think this could work out to something pretty cool, but it's not there yet.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/21 - (2N) Polygonet Commandos 'The Future Is Now'

Gario hits this on the head, the track has a great premise, and there are some parts that are executed well, but the overall soundscape sounds very basic overall and there's little in there to break up the soundscape. I'd have liked a more dynamic section that uses some different synths or instruments. 

Hope you keep working on this one. 

NO (resubmit)