Gario

Remixer Name: Digital Brain
eMail Adress: 

Name of Game arranged: The great Giana Sisters
Name of Arragement: Great Giana Sisters Intro
Name of individual Song arranged: The great Giana Sisters Loader

URL of the track: 

Hello,

First of all, excuse my English, I'm from Germany.

I created this mix because the title was (and still is) my absolute favorite among game music. That's why I wanted to stay as close to the original as possible, which may not be entirely in line with your rules, but we'll see. However, the title definitely has its own character.

You won't find many remixes of this song, because it only ran in the loading routine of the game and it wasn't part of most cracked versions. I sometimes loaded the game just to hear this title, not because I wanted to play it.

I also used the production of this song to teach my children how to produce music. First of all, so that they learn that music is not only simply played, but usually has to be produced. Listening to the original was also helpful, so that they could recognize the individual instruments and learn that most of the music is a perfect interplay of different instruments.

Now I (we) hope to see the title published on your great website. A remix version of the loader track is not yet available there.

Thank you for your attention!

Regards
Markus

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

What leaps out to me immediately is the EQ balance.  Most of the instruments are clustered in the mid to mid-low range, and there's a whole lot of conflict.  Bass, arps, SFX, percussion, and about half the range of the leads all occupy the same space.  The buzzy bass is responsible for a lot of this.  As a result, a lot of the complex interplay is nearly inaudible.

The arrangement itself is pretty conservative, but there is some structural rearrangement.  It would be easier to evaluate if I could hear the accompaniment more clearly, but I'm inclined to think it's OK on this front.  It just needs a lot of work in the EQ department.  Filter out some of those buzzing frequencies, give the leads, arps, and counterpoint more presence in the high end, and maybe rethink the use of piano (which is a very tricky instrument to work with in a crowded soundscape).  I think that'll get you most of the way there.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

MW has some good points about the production, there's definitely a lot going on at times, though I don't think it is a deal breaker on its own. The buzz in the bass is definitely a factor, and it might be worth switching to something that takes a bit less space for some of the busy sections. 

The synth lead that comes in at 0:50 and 1:59 doesn't seem to fit the key very well, I'd suggest with looking at the notes there to make sure everything fits correctly or consider another synth if that is the issue. 3:16 sounds much better. 

I do think the arrangement suits very conservative, which might be alright I'd there weren't other issues, but all together this isn't adding up currently. If you're up to it I'd suggest using our WIP forums to get some more feedback. Good luck.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/22 - (2N) Great Giana Sisters 'Great Giana Sisters Intro'
  • 4 weeks later...

The percussion during the verse sections sounded very basic and also had no presense, not cutting through the soundscape at all; for example, the drums just get buried around :16 after more elements came in.

The mixing was very murky for the first 22 seconds. When the melody came in at :23, it cut through, but the soundscape was still very cluttered until the dropoff at 1:06. The timing of the synth at :49 was extremely stiff-sounding, as well as the lead.

At 1:27, there were some added grace notes into the chorus section, but not much variation aside from that.

Around 1:51, it sounded like the track looped aside from some understated accenting lines which were a good additional but didn't add much to the picture to stop this from feeling underdeveloped and repetitive as an interpretive arrangement.

At 2:37, we finally reached another distinct section, and I was digging it. The drums cut through much better and added some movement to the music, and the little blips were a nice touch. The keyboard/computer sound combo at 2:58-3:14 sounded basic, but I can live with it. 3:14-'s brief section would have been a good moment to have some quick but meaningful variation with the writing before heading to your finish at 3:29. Nice sound to the final few seconds at 3:29.

This does move in the right direction in terms of fleshing out the source tune, but overall it's too conservative, underdeveloped, repetitive, and lacking dynamic contrast for the first 2 1/2 minutes. The production/mixing also needed to be addressed so that the drumwork stood out more during the verses instead of fading into the background and not lending movement/energy to the piece. Feel free to try to rework this one some, Markus, but even if you don't, you show potential and I hope we hear more submissions from you.

NO