Email: 
Userid: 3899

ReMixer name: HeavenWraith
e-mail: 
Userid: 28922

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Name of Arrangement: Sunset Heroes

Names of songs arranged: Trading Town of Redmont (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogzOL1BpjQM#t=2m03s), The Boy's Got Wings (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogzOL1BpjQM#t=8m31s)

Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

This is the second (and last) track I did for the Hometown Heroes album that unfortunately got cancelled. I originally created this arrangement mid 2015, but it wasn’t fully finished yet and was lying unused until somebody recruited for an Ys 30th anniversary album at OCR (http://ocremix.org/community/topic/46281-recruiting-for-30th-anniversary-ys-album/). That was a good reason to finally dust off my WIP and finish it.

Originally I tried making an Italo remix of the town of Redmont music, but when I showed it to Sir_Nuts many moons ago, he pointed out “it’s a cool arrangement, but the sounds are not Italo”. Fast forward 2 years, I tried my hand at synthwave in stead of Italo, did a lot of work on production, changed and layered lots of instruments, completely overhauled the mixing and finally came up with a title. Probably took me longer than coming up with the arrangement in the first place :)

In a bout of inspiration I tried swapping the synth part that originally played the “Boy’s Got Wings” part with a sampled guitar, and that sounded rather good. So I asked around if there were any people on the Ys album project that would be able to record the guitar for me. OCR regular HeavenWraith was able to do just that, and on rather short notice. That part where “Boy’s Got Wings” plays is my favorite part of the song, both because of the cool melody of the source track that I was able to blend with the Redmont theme and of the awesome guitar work :)

As for the “lyrics”, they are mostly there as ornaments and notably silly and incomprehensible. Here they are, in case you’re wondering:

Neon Skylines
Sunset Heroes
New Adventures
Hitpoints Zero

Neon Skylines
Sunset Heroes
Town of Redmont
(Sunset Heroes)

(2x)

Sunset Heroes

Glad that I had a good excuse to dust off this arrangement and finish it properly!

Cheers,
Jorrith

Well, the arrangement is certainly a lot of fun, and HeavenWraith's guitar work is a coup.

Mixing still isn't flawless, especially in the guitar section, where the saw is crowded by the guitar from one direction and the chimes from the other.  In general the highs are quite crowded and busy.  Like some other Jorito mixes, it could probably do without a part or even two in a lot of places.  Which is painful to say, because each part is great, but sometimes less is more.  I didn't even hear the arp in the guitar section until my fourth listen or so.

Still, I think this is well above our bar.  A good addition to any album.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This is super peppy and a lovely listen. Really enjoyed the overall 80's vibe and Heaven's guitar playing really add a nice touch. Love the overall details from the instruments to the harmonies. To nitpick I felt that the section near the end was a little crowded and some of the instruments got lost but the main instruments mostly pull through. Not a deal breaker!

YES

• 2 months later...

Ah yeah I've listened to this quite a few times during its production.  This went through quite a few versions, Jorito is very dedicated to getting the mix just right and issue-free.  Needless to say I think production is fine, though I did warn about the cluttering of instruments in some sections, but that goes with Jorito's style and it doesn't get too bad to become chaotic, I do wish these sections lowered the harmonies a bit to bring the leads to the forefront a bit more.  Also: vocoding = auto YES (not really).

Guitar work is clean, and the arrangement is the shining point here, widely expanding what's on the original.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/11/26 - (3Y) Y's 3 'Sunset Heroes'
  • 5 weeks later...

Happy vibes all round. Solid mix here, nice choice of instruments. I thought the main synth leads were a little loud compared to the other elements. Drums have a nice air to them. The arrangement progression felt a bit static over the first section, but things varied up well as the mix continued. The vocoding portions were a bit loud and could've been dialled back. The guitar solo fit well, nice tone, and fairly emotive, it definitely fit well. I feel the guitar portion at the end accompanying the leads didn't work as well as the other parts of the mix, because the instruments occupied very similar frequency space. The outro wind down was otherwise achieved well. No major issues with this one - certainly not perfect, but you can tell a good amount of care has gone into how this was put together. 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04170 - *YES* Ys 3 "Sunset Heroes"
  • Liontamer locked this topic