OCR03939 - *YES* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team "Build It Up [Sky toweR]"

Gario

remixers: OceansAndrew and Overclocked University

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5n-s2JKCq4

remix: 

Even though listening to the source you could really imagine it as a great 70's flavored horn-fueled rock song, I decided to try a completely different angle. during the process, I learned a lot about myself, life, and pokemon during my journey. Did you know that they are all related in a giant tower of life? I didn't either, but you can't deny the facts!

Anyways, this was definitely a genre experiment for me, but I think it brings a fresh trist to a classic theme. :-)

Oh, I do like this. It knows how to take a source that's more DS Epic (I'm continuously surprised by the quality of that soundtrack every time I see something from it on the panel) and slam it into your face; the arrangement never lets up on that gas pedal and I love it.

Arrangement is present with a style that makes it stand out, and the production is quite good. The mixing, while keeping everything easy enough to here has the drums pop out a little too much, there. The arrangement can get too crowded from time to time too, with the instruments selected (like at 2:33, where limiting artifacts sound like they're present).

It certainly ain't even close enough for me to reject, because when it's great it's really GREAT, and when it's not at it's best it's still really good. Solid pass, great work!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest concern is that 3:27-4:25 is almost a copy-paste of 0:49-1:48 (just a couple of brief, subtle extra bits thrown in), and 2:05-2:32 is almost a copy of 0:53-1:20, making about 29% of the arrangement a repetition, not counting the fact that each of those main sections are themselves little more than a loop of a simple six-note motif repeated several times.  The repetitiveness is emphasized by the palette, especially the percussion, which is pretty relentless.

I do hear the crowding as well, plus some pumping which I can't tell if it's intentional or not (0:30-0:42, for instance).  I don't think it's a severe issue given the genre, though.

I really wish those repeated sections had more to them to distinguish themselves from each other.  Some melodic riffs, some different textures, anything to let you know the whole arrangement isn't a loop without paying very close attention.  But otherwise the quality is certainly up there.  I'll call this a

YES (borderline)

Big energy to kick things off, that's for sure. The arrangement was substantive enough to bear the repetition, but the copy-pasta was disappointing because it was definitely too straightforward and it made the track feel too flat/samey over the long haul. I also thought the mixing was cluttered, and felt there was some high-end sizzle; not enough to hold this back, but it's indeed crowded like Gario and MW mentioned. Andrew still bringing it big-time, but more detail work in the repeated sections to keep the show fresh would have been awesome.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/27 - (3Y) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team 'Build it Up [Sky toweR]'

Love the intro bringing the melody and some great drum work, then the bass comes in super beefy and you know it's about to get lit, fam. The main melody comes in again work a lot of energy. The breakdown and bridge are a good change of pace and work really well worth the direction of the source. I didn't find the repetition to be much of an issue since it was spread out and also occurred after a strong bridge. Bringing it home felt nice. 

I do agree that some sections can get a little crowded, though I didn't find that the main parts were being lost. 

I'd dance to this.

YES

• Rexy changed the title to OCR03939 - *YES* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team "Build It Up [Sky toweR]"