OCR03748 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog "Supersonic"

Gario

Hi! This is the artist formerly known as Paul John. Green Hill Zone is still one of my favorite melodies to mess around with on piano, and I cranked this out the other night.

ReMixer name: 3P0P
Email address: 
Forum userid: pauljohn

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog
Name: Supersonic
Individual song(s): Green Hill Zone

Been a few years, but always a joy to run and arrange this tune as it's a reminder to stay fast, and personally, to never give up. Tried to keep it flowing throughout using air, drill, and bitcrushed game sounds to "pump" more energy into the 4/8 segments, also with a break that represents loss of coins, a continue break, drowning, time running out, or (insert_here). I listened to April Rain many years ago as previously featured, although only relistened after finishing this mix. May I have changed a few things otherwise? I'm not sure. Cheers!

3P0P is the electronic alias of Paul John who now focuses on performance piano. Continue? 3_2_1 ..

• 3 weeks later...

Though the ending was abrupt, the arrangement's all good, Paul, and I especially loved the rhythmic changes to the melody, so there's absolutely no issues there. That said, I felt the mixing was muddy and cluttered, which dinged this. Ultimately, I felt the arrangement carried it enough where I don't think we should hold this back. I'd love to get another pass at the mixing that was clearer without weakening the energy here, but I'll live with what's there.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/30 - (1Y) Sonic the Hedgehog 'Supersonic'

It's ground we've seen visited before, but the results are still distinctly unique.  There were some novel twists on the melody I certainly enjoyed.

I have mixed feelings about the mixing.  It's nontraditional, with the Green Hills melody line pushed behind the other elements much of the time, but it comes across as deliberate, and you can still hear it.  On the other hand, it clips by almost a dB, and that's an objective problem.  You could still achieve the intended effect without clipping.  The sidechaining obscures the distortion, so it doesn't sound that bad on my setup, but not everyone may have the same experience.

The ending is weak, practically nonexistent.

My conclusion is the same as Larry's: Strong arrangement, lots room for improvement in the mixing (and in the ending), but adequate overall.

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice rhythmic variation of the source. I love that people are still finding ways to arrange songs that have been done in what you think is every way possible. I want add bothered by the production by the gentlemen, but there were a couple areas where I thought the melody could have come through a tough stronger. The ending has been mentioned as well and I'm in agreement that it's pretty lackluster. 

Either way the arrangement carries the day, nice work!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I admit, the style took me by surprise.  I think it's just been a long time since I judged a electronic dance track for some reason.

Really liking how you adapted the melody here.  Very creative, but still clearly green hill 1.  Nice, full sound here, though at times a bit cluttered in the more dense sections, as mentioned.  The hit at 2:54 stuck out as an example of when ithe sound's getting distorted by pushing the limiter too hard.

Overly abrupt ending could be fleshed out more as well, but not a deal-breaker there.

Room for improvement, but lots of great energy, I like.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/11/30) *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog "Supersonic"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic