MnP 90: Metroid - Brinstar

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Midi 1:  http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP90_brinstar.mid

Midi 2:  http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP90_brinstar-3-.mid

Youtube: 

"Is it too early to go back to Metroid? Because the Brinstar theme from Metroid 1 is pretty great"
-Dex

Deadline: April 2nd @ 1PM

Vote Ends: April 4th @ 11PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

• 2 weeks later...

sweet, we got 3 entries and 1 bonus so far.  Nice turn out after all.  Let's see if we can get 1 more entry in there  - if not (oops typos), the 2nd is def. the end and 4th is end of vote.  Hope you guys are having a good Easter weekend!

PS, if I somehow win 1st place, I'm handing the pick over to 2nd best entrant.  I don't feel like picking next round's source lol.  Maybe for round 100, but not this one =p (edits)

Happy Easter Fools (Easter + April Fools Day) OCRemix, I entered as well. Probably not going to win and just did this for fun (feedback would be nice). However if I do win, I pick a mixture of "One Winged Angel" and "Birth of a God" or alternatively something from the Kingdom Hearts series (Maybe "Traverse Town"). Those would be my picks if I ever win but here's to always hoping and doing my best. Good luck and have a good day.

Also does anyone else get Pokemon Red vibes from this theme (I know it predates Pokemon) ...

Results

• The Hobokrap got 1st with 15 points. 
  • RonaldPoe & Silverpool tied for 2nd with 12 points.  

I don't want next round's pick:  Ronaldpoe and Silverpool, PM me your source-picks for Round 91.  It's gonna be a double-source round :P 

Comments

Sleeping schedule has been stupid.  But better now than 3 days later lol.  I shoulda rolled as a BONUS.  Kinda self defeating that I throw my hat in my own ring and wind up winning. Not really my intent to steal the show... Also, Ronald, if you had voted, you'd have been tied with me.  So you should really vote no matter what- you can never predict how people are gonna vote!  

11 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Congrats all. Thanks for the bonus mix, satoka. I think a few of the faster note runs are getting lost (due to the sample articulations having a slow attack?) but other than that it sounds pretty nice and epic. 

You're right - it's to do with the attack speed. I really need to investigate how to improve quickly articulated strings - not the first time I've had this problem! Thanks for having a listen ^_^