OCR03896 - *YES* Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun "Partons à l'Aventure"

Sir_NutS

Artist: Sir_NutS
Name of the games arranged: The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun /Le temple du Soleil (europe)
Name of the arrangement: Partons À L'aventure
Name of the individual songs arranged: Stage 1-2

Link to remix: 

WAV file: 

Link to original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkEFczKLRY8

Here I am again remixing yet another incredibly obscure game.  why? because Alberto J. Gonzalez is a genius, and a tribute from me, a fan, was due.

For those who don't know Tintin was a very popular character quite a long time ago, in Europe and Laitn America.  Le Temple du Soleil (Prisoners of the sun) was an animated movie, and a few games were released for several platforms, including the game boy color, and this is one of the tracks in that game.  There's not much to say about the production of this track because it was super easy as I already loved the original, the only slight difficulty was translating the more swingy/triplet-based melodies to a more straightforward synthwave-y track.  For the vocoded voice I actually didn't record myself or anyone this time around and went for a bit of a more oldschool approach, using a voice synthesizer and then running it through a couple of vocoder effects.

I want to do more remixes based on Mr. Gonzalez's music in the future (his work on the Turok: Rage wars OST for GBC is masterful) but for now, this is a good start I think.  Enjoy!

I actually had the comic book this was based on when I was a kid.  Had no idea this game existed, though.  This is one heck of a track.

Sidenote: The title should be "Partons à l'aventure".  In French, only the first letter of a title is capitalized, and the first letter of the second word if the first word was an article.  Using English capitalization rules, it would be "Partons à l'Aventure."

Anyway, this is pretty typical NutS synthwave fare.  Some of the sweeps are a little too loud (e.g. 0:25-0:31), but production is otherwise on point.  The vocoded speech is completely incomprehensible, but there's nothing wrong with that.  No question that it meets our arrangement guidelines--it clearly uses the source throughout but transforms the heck out of it.  The conversion to 4/4 makes for some fun little triplets, too.  Solid work overall.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/03/22 - (1Y) Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun "Partons à l'Aventure"
  • 2 months later...

The piece was 2:59-long, so I needed to ID the source being used for more than 89.5 seconds for the VGM to dominate the arrangement.

:23.75-:26.5, :31.5-:34, :35.5-:42.25, :43.5-:45.75, :47.5-1:33.5, 2:12.5-2:20.5, 2:27.75-2:56 = 96.5 seconds or 53.91% overt source usage

My timestamping was just me going for super obvious connections, given that the source was brand new to me.

Mike's approach had some of that Italo quality to it. Fun energy here, thick beats that drove the arrangement forward, and I enjoyed the source tune as well (love AJG's music, he's awesome)!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/03/22 - (2Y) Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun "Partons à l'Aventure"

Not too much to add on this one. The style is clean, and the energy maintains itself throughout the track. The source tune checks out, certainly, though it does a nice job using more-or-less original material to build momentum in the beginning. While the soundscape sounds light, there's a lot of cool texture work going on under the hood that really does elevate the track overall.

I like it, and I think other people will, too.

YES

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2018/03/22) *YES - TAG* Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun "Partons à l'Aventure"
  • Liontamer locked this topic