MnP 91: Mario Kart Wii - "Maple Treeway" & Kingdom Hearts 2 - "13th Struggle"

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Maple Treeway MIDI:  http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP91_MKWii_BoisVermeil.mid

13th Struggle MIDI:  http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP91_KH2-The_13th_Struggle.mid

Youtube: 

Deadline: April 28th @ 1PM Sat

Vote Ends: April 30th @ 11PM Mon

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

14 hours ago, satoka-eldon said:

Is this an either or? Or we have to mix them together? :P

Either or, or if you can somehow find a way to MnP a mash-up that works too.  I think that Kat managed to pull that off on http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP82

"Eve's Mansion"...Kat did an amazing job of jelling the two together - not sure if that it was the classic take on MnP, but it worked for me lol. 

On 2018/4/13 at 6:49 AM, HoboKa said:

Either or, or if you can somehow find a way to MnP a mash-up that works too.  I think that Kat managed to pull that off on http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP82

"Eve's Mansion"...Kat did an amazing job of jelling the two together - not sure if that it was the classic take on MnP, but it worked for me lol. 

Very cool! I think I'll stick to Maple Treeway though if I get time for a quick remix.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:05 PM, Silverpool said:

Does my entry need to be a bonus entry because I picked the source tune, even though I didn't win the last round?

Either way, an extension would be very much appreciated. :-D

*edit* update, a day late.  I think since I tooled around with the rules last time, I may as well be consistent and let you participate fully this round as well - same goes with Ronald Poe.  Shame this round has been pretty dead.  I'll try and get something up for this round too.  Probably as a BONUS. 

Submitted!

18 hours ago, HoboKa said:

*edit* update, a day late.  I think since I tooled around with the rules last time, I may as well be consistent and let you participate fully this round as well - same goes with Ronald Poe.  Shame this round has been pretty dead.  I'll try and get something up for this round too.  Probably as a BONUS. 

Thanks for letting me participate in this round, as well as for the extension!

Silverpool wins by Default.  Please pick the source tune for round 92.

Comments:

Seeing as there is only 1 eligible entry, Imma put my vote comments here. 

Hey Silverpool, your synth-work has gotten better; "Autumn Adventures" was enjoyably to listen to!  The synths jive real well together and there was a lot of dynamics going on - they sounded kind of human.  On a side note, seems like the "Maple Treeway" had a LOT of pitch bending in it, so I was kinda like f*** that shit I'm out lol.  Too much effort there HA.  Thanks for participating Silverpool!

43 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

Silverpool wins by Default.  Please pick the source tune for round 92.

Comments:

Seeing as there is only 1 eligible entry, Imma put my vote comments here. 

Hey Silverpool, your synth-work has gotten better; "Autumn Adventures" was enjoyably to listen to!  The synths jive real well together and there was a lot of dynamics going on - they sounded kind of human.  On a side note, seems like the "Maple Treeway" had a LOT of pitch bending in it, so I was kinda like f*** that shit I'm out lol.  Too much effort there HA.  Thanks for participating Silverpool!

You're welcome, and thank you for the feedback!

They were both quite well done imo.

I loved the panning and complexity of hoboka's track. Kept me really interested the whole way through. The only thing that bothered me was the simple bass synth (not sure what to call it) that didn't go away until 0:37.

And the only thing that bothered me on Silverpool's track was the simplicity of the drum sounds. The drum part itself was fine and fit the track well.

It blows me away that you guys are able to do these things so quickly.

2 hours ago, Dextastic said:

They were both quite well done imo.

I loved the panning and complexity of hoboka's track. Kept me really interested the whole way through. The only thing that bothered me was the simple bass synth (not sure what to call it) that didn't go away until 0:37.

And the only thing that bothered me on Silverpool's track was the simplicity of the drum sounds. The drum part itself was fine and fit the track well.

It blows me away that you guys are able to do these things so quickly.

MIDI ripping the n00b way, always works lol.  I did, however, do a lot of rearranging and copy/cutting.  Didn't just slap it on there and do a straight cover.  Per critique, I might rework the that KH2 remix.  The buzzing bass is kinda...ass.  K, I'll see myself out the door now lol.

Actually yeah, I think your sounds have come a long way in the last year or so (since I started this whole computer music thing), hoboka. I don't know if that's just because they're being better-mixed or if you've upgraded them or what, but I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of things you're using too.

9 hours ago, Silverpool said:

I loved the drum sounds, what did you use?.

I liked the dark feeling of the track. I've been playing Mario Kart recently and this would fit in a Bowser's Castle stage.

What sound did you use at 1:57. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks Silverpool!!  You're getting better too!

Er which sound at 1:57?  The brass?  There's a lot of sounds there hahaha. 

Hey my reaction-button works now!?  Wonder how long that'll last haha.  Umm.  My primary go-to is Damage Drums https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/cinematic/damage/

It's a Kontakt (Native Instruments or a partnership with NI).  Gonna go off-tangent a bit and say that while back that @Neblix told me that it's more worthwhile to purchase Kontakt as a whole product rather than individual VSTs...and I think he is right, because for (x amount of $$$) ~ you can get A TON of products rather than individual products that are can be upwards of $200.  So you're saving mad bucks that way.  I didn't listen to him though...so I probably spent twice that much in the long run by picking up single VSTi products from NI lmao. 

Here's the pricing for KOMPLETE  https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-11/compare/

5 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Actually yeah, I think your sounds have come a long way in the last year or so (since I started this whole computer music thing), hoboka. I don't know if that's just because they're being better-mixed or if you've upgraded them or what, but I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of things you're using too.

Hey I'm glad you think so Dex!!  Umm...I learned from ***someone down the grape vine*** that a lot of my products were already pre-mixed (EQ'd) very well and using FL's Parametric EQ stuff actually hurt my mix more than help it - so I decided to only mix really shitty samples (usually Soundfonts and crappier VSTs).  Funny how less work can sometimes amount to better sound.  For 13,000 Struggles I used Kontakt/NI, IK Multimedia's Philharmonic and Aria Player (Garritan).  The latter 2 aren't really studio quality, but they seem to work OK. 

EDIT) Oh sh*t!  I also used Hybrid for the risers and a couple of synths. 

Pardon the mass of edits.