·         lazerwoplh

·         Phillip Merriman             

·         www.lazerwolph.com

Submission Information

·         The Legend Of Zelda: Majoras Mask

·         Dream Of Being A Zora

·         Zora Hall

• https://youtu.be/Ji3v_5hExcY
    • So this is my first actual “remix”. I guess you could maaaaaybe consider my rendition of “At Zanarkand” for classical guitar a remix, but thats more of a cover, no? Ive been thinking about doing an actual remix for a while, ever since I submitted At Zanarkand a couple years ago, but never took the plunge. Then about a week ago, I randomly found the midi file for Zora Hall online, with just the chords and melody. I figured, “No transcription work to stop me from doing a remix now!” So I thought I’d plop it in to Cubase and see what happened. Whammo! I actually liked how it turned out! Now, the REAL challenge: showing other people *GASP*

Thanks for listening!

-Phillip Merriman

Definitely one of the less-mixed Zelda songs there, but it has a really nice melody, and I like the upbeat approach you took here. The bassline does some really nice work to fill out the soundscape as well, and I enjoyed how you worked the balance between the two. 

I felt like the structure of the mix gets very samey as it progresses. There's a lot of the same sounds and the source is followed pretty closely from start to finish. Some more variation into any and all of those aspects would help make the track a lot more interesting. I'm also not particular fan of the buzzy lead, especially because it is used for a majora-ty (tee hee) of the mix. Overall the various instruments are easy to hear, though I do think the buzzy lead adds a lot of mud to the track.

The transition at ~1:05 is pretty sudden as well, some sort of lead-in would make it less jarring when the other instruments come in.

I think you have a fantastic start here, but overall the track needs more variation to separate it more from the source and bump up the interest level. Hit up our WIP forums to get some more advice and I'd like to hear this again.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/09 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'Dream of Being a Zora'

The synths coming in at 1:00 were pretty vanilla, but we'll see if the energy level or textures develop further. Bigger drums arrived around 1:24, but the overall energy was still very flat due to the lead.

Melodically, there's not much going on different with this compared to the source, so there's more pressure, IMO, for the instrumentation to be fully clicking.

Even at 2:49, there's a bit of a swell, but ultimately nothing fresh going on with the textures or the writing for the finish.

I agreed with DragonAvenger that this is an excellent base, but some combination of more interpretive/varied treatment of the melody, changes or variations in the lead sound, and some more pronounced dynamic contrast over time would put this over the top.

Good stuff so far, Phillip, please don't drop this one. Whatever you think works for you in terms of applying the criticisms to some revisions, that may be enough to put it over the top.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/11/09 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'Dream of Being a Zora'
  • 3 weeks later...