Shatterhand-Select Theme Remix

MAP3Music

I remixed this theme because of how darn catchy it is. I wanted to do more with it so I added a little bit of a melody at the end.

Updated version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NujqWSai4tz5DHqMreheTHqPf0n87_bz/view?usp=sharing

Further updated version https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Po265qaakzHl0FkkxPKs6_iRZAy6KR8A

Final (Hopefully!) Version https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NgR_5_Nhkw9DxomnhccUGinHlihRUzEq/view

Original: 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you did a great job squeezing as much as possible from a 15-second loop of music. It might be too conservative of an arrangement, ultimately, to get published, though maybe not. I hope it does, because the production is awesome! Maybe the last eight bars before the slowdown almost reached repetitive territory, but it makes the ending more effective, I think. 

11 hours ago, Mr. Hu said:

Sounds like you did a great job squeezing as much as possible from a 15-second loop of music. It might be too conservative of an arrangement, ultimately, to get published, though maybe not. I hope it does, because the production is awesome! Maybe the last eight bars before the slowdown almost reached repetitive territory, but it makes the ending more effective, I think. 

Thank you for listening! If it sounds conservative it may be because I was running out of ideas as to what to do with the theme, so the little melody I added was supposed to be the last arrangement I could do before the slowdown finale occurred. I made this track thinking in my head what the theme would sound like if there was a remake of this game in the works, so I tried to make it a little modern while also trying not to lose the overall feel of the original. Thank you for the compliment and criticism!

Eval:

Arrangement:

The first section is kind of samey for a bit too long; I'd cut to the next section at 0:20, instead of having the additional verse.

Percussion needs more variation.

I love what you did with the low synth starting around 0:30.

I like the additional lead harmony coming in at 1:05, but I feel it's too little, too late; that lead riff has already gotten repetitive by this point. I think this arrangement's biggest weakness is that you keep that lead riff going the entire time with almost no variation. Granted, the original track did the same thing, but for this to stand on its own as a remix, it needs more variation. The riff is catchy as hell the first few times, but it's not enough to carry the remix all the way through. The additional lead coming in around 1:10 is good; you need more of that, and earlier in the track. As-is, the focus is on the same four-second-long riff over and over, and no matter how cool that riff may be, you need more to keep the listener's attention. Consider dropping that main riff for a section and having some sort of solo over the bass progression (which itself is pretty catchy, even without the main lead riff. Also, the track needs more rhythmic variation; other than occasionally dropping out for a verse, the percussion is essentially the same for the entire mix.

The speed change-up near the end is an interesting idea, but a bit too jarring, still doesn't seem like enough variation, and doesn't really lead to anything.

Production:

The percussion is weak, as mentioned above, and needs more variation. I highly recommend you take a look through Zircon's percussion tips to get you started on this.

Otherwise, production is fine. Some cool choices of synth sounds, I feel like I can distinctly hear everything I'm supposed to hear. I don't really have any complaints at this point beyond the percussion.

Verdict: not ready to sub yet. I enjoy the synth tones, and you've got some really cool stuff going with the bass synth, but the percussion and repetitive use of the same lead riff are dealbreakers.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!