OCR00090 - Shinobi "Phat Musashi"

Shinobi 'Phat Musashi'

Starts out sounding a bit like an AM radio. It gets going but in my opinion never really grabs out at ya. It's not too "phiggidy phat" but you could do worse. This song is NOT in the Sega Master System version. Why? I dunno, I guess Sega got lazy when they made the SMS version (the only home version they ever programmed... the PC Engine version and other translations of the arcade game were programmed by non-Sega companies).

• 2 years later...

Hmmm... without comments??

Here I see the djpretzel evolution:

2000 - 'Phat Musashi' from Shinobi, is something modest/good.

2001 - 'Diddy Evolution'from DKC, good arrangement with guitar/pizzicato.

2002 - 'Love Hurts' from Sonic the Hedgehog, 2 Stage Theme nice/enjoyable.

2003 - 'Booster Tarantino' from Super Mario Rpg, great saxophone!! amused/excellent.

2004 - 'Consent (Make Me Dance)' from Revenge of Shinobi, good rhythm/nice "wah" effect.

These are examples from djpretzel evolution.

The improvement is clear. In 2005 I want to listen new changes in your work.

The OCRemix creator, improve with the time. In the future, will make excellent works.

Happy 2005 for everybody...

• 1 year later...

This mix features some great agressive snares that really get in your face along with some cool abrupt stops. The solo in the middle is funky, and overall the track is decent, but I think that it needs some legato pads and a few changes in synth choices to properly fill it out. The ending is cool but abrupt, and I think that having another section to fill things out would be in order.

This is a great track to not only see how DJP has grown, but the site as well.

• 1 month later...

Damn, never reviewed this one either. I loved whatever percussion sounds were used for the intro. Back in the day, the uniqueness of the intro made me go "Whoa, what the hell is that?" and stick around for more.

The beatwork is pretty slick for the olden days; this would be genuinely solid, driving writing even then. The brief synth solo at 1:25 felt kinda loosely played, but had some nice 80s-style energy.

It ends too soon; felt like a few more minutes were definitely capable. But overall, a good overhaul of the original.

• 9 months later...

Ok, with a name like Phat Musashi, this better be good. :)

An interesting use of sound choices. Not my favorite sounds, but they fit into the piece well, and I don't think anything else would have worked here.

I like the pace of the piece, it works well. Overall, I'm not a fan of the style, but that's just me. I still can appreciate it for what it is.

I liked the sounds in the intro, but felt that the transition from the intro to the main part was a little abrupt. From then on, things seem to get better, and some more very cool synths are introduced. I'm not too familiar with the soundtrack of this version of Shinobi (I've only played the Game Gear version of Shinobi, to be honest), but it sounds like there's some nice re-interpretation of the melody, especially with the synth solo about 3/4 through the song. Great stuff, especially for such an early entry into the OCR library.

• 11 months later...

Pretty cool intro build with some cool lo-fi synth blips. Things fill out nicely when the beat comes in, soundscape-wise. Off-beat snares seem to clash a bit with some of the patterns, which causes it to feel a little awkward at points.

Interesting sound choices for leads and fillers have DJP written all over them. Ending is pretty abrupt, but not too bad. It's a mix you can enjoy and not have to take too seriously.

I can dig a good portion of what this track is doing. The intro is nice, and the main melody sections are pretty groovy. I love that one sound that is in the background there... almost sounds like water trickling when I don't pay too much attention to it, and give the track that much more of a cool factor. Kewl.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hehe, old-school djp. :wink:

So even then you had an ear for deviating from the source material; starts interesting with those synthetic rhythmic synths, though by the time the beat and ultimately the melody came in, things started to add more flavor, life and ultimately interpretation into the track. It might be difficult for people to see past the loose timing on the first goes-through, but in terms of what's been handled with the source material it managed to fit the feel that was going on here.

Looking at the description it can be seen that the mastering process seems rather primitive now in comparison to other mixes, but in comparison to works even a couple of years after its time it actually sounds pretty polished.

It may show its age now, but like a lot of djp works they tend to stand the test of time a lot more than other similar arrangements.

Here's to hoping you'll provide any music for 2012 on top of your service to the site; for now, we salute you :)

• 2 years later...

This one isn't my favorite among the older DJP ReMixes, but the low-fi arrangement and synths did their job and kept my attention. I can hear the production age and it is a bit short. All my nitpicking aside, though, truthfully, I do enjoy this ReMix as an older classic and I can respect the work that went into this one and the ReMix itself for what it is.

• 1 year later...

What I love about djp is that he's always doing something a little different. Even among his 'old quirky funk-o-tronic weird synth' tracks, this has a very distinct feel between the lo-fi intro, the interesting percussion throughout, and the pluckier choices of synths. This kind of makes me miss this kind of sound, I can't imagine a 03000 era OCR track sounding anything like this... maybe going through these old songs is just making me nostalgic for them somehow. Or at least making me appreciate them more, which is pretty neat.

(also hehe that... female vox? sound that first shows up around 1:10 reminds me unbelievably of Kirby 64...)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00090 - Shinobi "Phat Musashi"
  • 2 years later...

Wow.  Hearing this again in 2018.  Forget all the technical jargon from people in the know when it comes to music theory. 

I'm a fan of the games.  I played it in the arcade.  Back in the day when home consoles weren't in every home, just in the rich kid's house that everyone pretended to like so they could play Nintendo.

This song just such a great reflection on that time period where the blaxploitation / dubbed kung fu films of the 70's and their accompanying funk were converging with the 80's synth and ninja fever.  I mean that bit at 1:25 was killer ! ! !  

It is so much fun to listen to this song. Honestly, someone needs to make an AMV with this song featuring Michael Dudikoff, the ninja turtles, and ninja gaiden and you would have 2 minutes and 45 seconds of the greatest memories of the 80s.

Djpretzel has given the world something wonderful, with this remix as well as with ocremix itself.