Master Mi

Neutrally EQ-ed crystal clear (studio monitor) speakers

21 posts in this topic

Yo, dudes.

I already have some good professional producer headphones (Sony MDR 7506 - I'll definitely keep up with those!) and at least a nearly decent, fairly faithful multimedia speaker system (Logitech Z533).

But now I'm lookin' for some nice for a better studio monitor speaker system because it can be still a big difference concerning to the right mixing.
I've tested some studio monitors in a store (Fluid C5 & Alesis M1 Active 520 USB) these days but I wasn't really that satisfied with those because the bass was way to heavy or not defined enough. And in in generell it wasn 't the crystal clear sound quality I've expected - except at some really big and expensive concert speakers I can't afford and for which I don't have enough place (not to mention the possible electricity bill by using those things :D).

I was probably looking for some Yamaha-NS-10-like studio monitors 'cause some top producers would probably say that if a mix sounds great on these speakers the mix would sound good on any other speaker systems.

So, I'm looking for a speaker system with following features:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) neutrally EQ-ed crystal clear sound
2) wanna hear details you don't hear on every speaker system or headphones exactly (like if there's too much or too less hall, if the bass is tight enough or if similar frequencies or their halls bleed into each other)
3) should play a decently deep bass level where you don't miss relevant low frequencies
4) not too big in size - should fit on my desk, so a fitting size would be >>> 18 cm * 25 cm * 18 cm (width/height/depth) at the maximum size
5) should be energy-saving speakers (so... about 100 to 150 W at the maximum level)
6) should have something like front bass ('cause the rear of the speakers will be directly at the wall or maybe a few centimeters away from the wall)
7) colour should be a mostly dark/black design
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you have some extensive experiences with this topic and a good advice for me and all the others who are concerned with the studio monitor or speaker system stuff.

PS: I'm currently choosing between following Studio Monitors:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Adam A5X >>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_a5x.htm
(pretty expensive, but nearly high-end German quality with a really accurate flat frequency response, highest frequency range from 50 to 50000 Hz, front bass, not oversized and pretty cool design)

2) Adam T5V or T7V >>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_t5v.htm
                                 >>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_t7v.htm
(were actually my favorite ones 'cause of the top German quality, the good range into the lower bass sections until 45/39 Hz up to the higher frequencies until 25000 Hz, the nice price, the really really really awesome design, the low wattage - but the size (depth about 30 cm!!!) and the rear bass could be a problem)

3) Yamaha MSP 5 Studio >>> https://www.thomann.de/de/yamaha_msp_5_studio.htm
(pretty nice stuff as well and top Japanese quality, but seem to have not that accurate flat frequency response I was expecting from those - seem to be a bit higher pitched and lacking in bass than all the others, but really low wattage, front bass and compact size for the great frequency range from 50 to 40000 Hz, design could be a bit cooler)

4) JBL LSR 305 >>> https://www.thomann.de/de/jbl_lsr_305.htm?ref=search_prv_6
(pretty solid, decent stuff, nice frequency range from 43 to 24000 Hz, cool design, acceptable size and really nice price (there 's an offer of a 2-speakers bundle and 2 stands for only 249 Euros), unfortunately with rear bass unit and some users complain about minimal hissing noises and that you have to turn up the volume a bit more to hear everything you need)

5) Mackie MR524 or MR624 >>> https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_mr524.htm?ref=prod_rel_415975_4
                                             >>> https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_mr624.htm
(decent quality, acceptable frequency range from 45/38 Hz to 20000 Hz, quite acceptable size, speakers with the lowest wattage at this size, but just again rear with bass unit and I can 't really stand the design with the 2 green leds which are on the same side of both speakers)

I guess I'll go for the Adam T5V or the Adam T7V studio monitors if the big size/depth and the rear bass against the wall won't make too big problems in my production and living room - will check these out in a music store in a few days.

M-Audio, KRK, and Yamaha are pretty popular for near-field monitors, should meet all your specifications, and they're pretty much all "flat-frequency-response" as they can get it.

However, you have to be sure that your room isn't going to undo that.

Thanks for the quick response. ))

I edited the topic with some good studio monitor speakers in my momentarily closest range according to my current knowledge if you want to have a look at, too.

So, you don't think that the Yamaha studio monitors (MSP series are the more professional versions - compared with the HS (Home Studio) versions)) are a bit too bright and high-pitched compared to the natural sound signals?

1 hour ago, Master Mi said:

So, you don't think that the Yamaha studio monitors (MSP series are the more professional versions - compared with the HS (Home Studio) versions)) are a bit too bright and high-pitched compared to the natural sound signals?

The 5-inch probably, but the 7-inch is well balanced for my purposes (mostly orchestral).

I had a chance to demo the Adam A7x's next to the new T7V's about a week ago. 

The T7V's sounded like toys by comparison.

Even more to their detriment, the T7V's are rear-ported as compared to the front-ported A7x's.

I have the JBL LSR’s and had the Yamaha HS5 before. While the Yamaha had better built quality (it’s hefty), they are also very top heavy and lack bass. I didn’t care for the sound much, not to listen to, not to mix on. The JBL’s sound a lot nicer to my ears, also great for normal listening, and for me they seem to translate pretty well. I did plug the sound holes on the back because they are close to the wall and would sound boomey otherwise. From a bang for the buck perspective I would recommend to check them out to.

Caveat: I do like 95% of my mixing on headphones.

Thanks for the many different points of view.

Is somebody able to make a comparison (based on own listening experiences) between JBL LSR 305 and the Adam T5V or Adam A5X series?

21 minutes ago, timaeus222 said:

Just wanted to point out, @Jorito seemed to be talking about the HS5, and @Neifion was referring to the HS8.

Not quite, Neifion was talking about the HS7, the one with the 7" woofers (the HS8 has 8" woofers). 

4 hours ago, Master Mi said:

Thanks for the many different points of view.

Is somebody able to make a comparison (based on own listening experiences) between JBL LSR 305 and the Adam T5V or Adam A5X series?

The jbl 305 and 308 also sound like toys next to the a7x, based on a different listening experience of mine. I have not had the chance to demo the jbl's against the t5v's.

Dudes - I've checked out the Adam T5V. They were awesome in the store to listen to (even in comparison with the A7X, T5V seem to make a deeper bass and a cleaner sound somehow) - and now at least I know that I've mixed my coming Lufia remix already very well with my headphones and my Logitech Z533 speaker system.

I bought the Adam T5V studio monitors - but in my room I recognized that they are roaring so much that this would probably mean war with my neighborhood. The sound is really too heavy for my flat.
So, I guess I'll bring them back and stick with my Logitech Z533 speaker system which has obviously the perfect size and sound for my production room in my flat.

It's really annoying because I was really on fire to go for some high quality studio monitors.

But maybe somebody has another tip for me what could be a good quality 3-way speaker system (high & mid speakers + subwoofer bass) that could be useful for production purposes in a medium-sized flat as well (primarily an energy-saving speaker system with good sound quality, flat frequency response, black/dark colour and a cool design) instead - at least something which has a bit smaller size than studio monitors and which doesn't roar that heavy...

What do you guys think about a combination of:

1) Presonus Eris 3.5 Monitor Speakers >>> https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3-5-Professional-Multimedia/dp/B075QVMBT9
                                                              >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9GCtaimjU
and

2) Yamaha NS SW 50 Subwoofer >>> https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-subwoofer-NS-SW050-B-Black/dp/B01LZRLF6E/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1526718076&sr=8-7&keywords=Yamaha+NS+50

Subwoofer could be a bit smaller - but wouldn't this be a great 3-way studio speaker as well (compared to my Logitech Z533) to hear most of the details in a mix within a small room and without my professional headphones?

13 hours ago, Dextastic said:

The jbl 305 and 308 also sound like toys next to the a7x, based on a different listening experience of mine. I have not had the chance to demo the jbl's against the t5v's.

Makes total sense, as you can literally buy 4-5 of them for the price of a single a7x ;)

Insane - found a nice combo of a smaller 3-way-speaker system with subwoofer for my sharp-eared flat that might be good for mixing and music production purposes - though its smaller size.

1) Presonus Eris 3.5 Speakers >>> https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3-5-Professional-Multimedia/dp/B075QVMBT9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1526725108&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=presonus+eris+3.5&psc=1

>>>

and

2) Fostex PM-SUBmini 2 >>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/fostex_pm_submini_2.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D

I guess this could work even for ordinary flats with noise-sensitive people around - within a smaller studio environment where you still can hear a good amount of details with an hopefully flat frequency response at the right hardware settings.

I ordered the stuff after checking lots of alternatives in the smaller studio size sections and will be able to test the new stuff in about two weeks - will leave ya a feedback if somebody is interested.

What's your opinion about (or maybe your experience with) those two components for smaller studio environments?

And what do you think sounds better and more natural with a good flat frequency response - Presonus Eris 3.5 or 4.5?
I tend to go for Presonus Eris 3.5 because there the mids don't seem to mix up with the bass in the speakers so much - so it could be working excellently with the subwoofer as a separate bass unit. ))

Nowadays small details of response comparison between studio monitors are moot and needless effort to shop around for. If you pick up Sonarworks Reference 4 w/ their mic, then once you set up your monitors in the right configuration, calibrate the Reference 4 profile. The mic will detect differences between expected signal sound and what both your monitors and room are giving you, and apply a counter filter that cancels the differences out. You do have to manually set it to linear phase, which adds some latency to your path, but having that un-affected phase response is crucial.

It gets you way better results than agonizing over configuration settings. The important thing is that you just buy a good quality set with a decent response and then have your room at least minimally treated so that Reference doesn't have to do an unnatural amount of work to fix it.

Reference mostly gets a ton of praise all around, but also a small handful of disappointed customers, so you can shop around for other companies that do the same thing, there are multiple ones.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ref4StuMicBun--sonarworks-reference-4-studio-with-mic

That being said, your mileage may vary if you're throwing a subwoofer in there too, since it needs to calculate L/R independently. Honestly like... a subwoofer isn't necessary, and I see of accomplished (home) engineers leaving it out of their setups. Getting something above 5" drivers for your monitors will already guarantee you a good sounding bass response.

Getting a sub can actually be detrimental if your room isn't right for it, or you aren't prepared to potentially do a lot of interior design work to make it work.

By the way, no set of monitors is going to sound crystal clear unless you treat your room. sonarworks might help in an untreated room but it will add some coloration (as all eq's do-either transient smearing or pre-ringing) and it can't do anything about standing waves.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:04 AM, Dextastic said:

and it can't do anything about standing waves.

Definitely why I said getting a sub isn't the best idea unless your room is set-up.

I'm not a too big fan of adapting my cosy living room for my speaker system (especially not with those unesthetic dark wall absorber mats) - I rather prefer buying a speaker system that really fits my room.

Unfortunately the store won't get the whole new speaker system until August 2018 - so it seems like I have to wait over 2 months to get my first chance to give ya a little review of this obviously pretty awesome small-size studio speaker system combo.