Internet Explorer 7 Sucks

XZero

My computer automatically downloaded an "update" for me last night and told me to reset. I turned it off, and when I turned it on again this afternoon, my Internet Explorer 6 had been replaced by 7, after I had repeatedly not taken it. Does anyone know how to get my address/search bar (located on the top) to move on 7? And does anyone know how to get rid of that stupid icon over my 'e' that makes it look like (e?

Thanks.

WELL YOU COULD ALWAYS SWITCH TO.... OPERA

I don't have Internet Explorer 7 yet, but it confused the fuck out of my grandma, and I had to walk her through how to use it by guesswork [and of course it ended up being something completely ridiculous].

Also as far as I know there's no way to downgrade back to 6. Same way you can't go back to WMP 9 or 10, or DirectX 8.

Still, I don't wanna sound like a douche, but try to switch to Firefox or Opera if you can, otherwise you make web designers cry.

As the previous person said, there really is no way to switch back to IE6.

While you like the system, it was necessary for Microsoft to make everyone move to IE7 for security purposes.

If you'd like to have that IE feel, Firefox can have as many (or as few) features as you'd like, and you can skin it to look like Microsoft made it. That might un-confuse your Grandma.

I haven't used Opera, but I hear that it's really good, and is the first web browser to fulfill these new standards that I can't remember (something about ACID?)...

I don't understand why everyone is so hard on IE, it's a lot better than you give it credit for, and a lot better than Firefox. You act like a bunch of freelance web designers could actually produce something of higher quality than a corporation with actual, you know, funding.

You act like a bunch of freelance web designers could actually produce something of higher quality than a corporation with actual, you know, funding.

uh lol. This is yet another firefox vs. IE thread, and I fucking HATE these, but I feel you need some informing.

Have you heard of Linux distros? Or OpenOffice? How about 7zip, XMPlay, or GAIM? There is plenty of open source software that outshines or matches its corporate counterpart(s) in form and functionality. There's also the expandability of such programs. Plugins, themes, and extensions for Firefox! What does IE get? A few toolbars that waste screen space. Nothing that really changes the makeup of the browser itself.

The quality of Firefox is higher and that is a HARD FACT you can take to the bank etc etc. IE6 has been around since, what, 1998? With no improvements. That's several years of their browser not keeping up with the evolution of the rest of the internet. So something like Firefox was necessary, which is one reason why it's so popular. Another reason being the tabs, duh!

Another reason being the tabs, duh!

An original idea from "a bunch of freelance web designers" that was actually noticed by a "higher quality" "corporation with actual, you know, funding" which was taken and used in their own product and then marketed as a completely new and fresh web browsing experience.

I know what that says to me. Pffft, yeah those freelancers and open sources really need ot get their act together.

[/rant]

I don't understand why everyone is so hard on IE, it's a lot better than you give it credit for, and a lot better than Firefox. You act like a bunch of freelance web designers could actually produce something of higher quality than a corporation with actual, you know, funding.

yeah, browser flame wars are dumb...

but you are dumb too

but you are dumb too

...not dumb enough to use FF.

but you are dumb too

You HAVE to be trolling. PLEASE.

but you are dumb too

It takes a very special kind of person to prefer IE over FF.

These people tend to wear helmets so they don't injure themselves, and get on buses that are shorter than usual.

but you are dumb too

It takes a very special kind of person to prefer IE over FF.

These people tend to wear helmets so they don't injure themselves, and get on buses that are shorter than usual.

I mean, I can see preferring it for whatever reason. It's familiar, it's speedy, whatever.

But to say someone is DUMB to use a browser that is more fully featured, better supported, more customizable, and much much more secure is just... well, as you implied, retarded.

better supported

I assume your talking about standard support(css, html, xml, etc.) and not the number of html pages (don't limit yourself to internet webpages) that the browser will work with.

Well, I meant better supported as in more updates, more add-ons, extentions, etc. You can really make your Firefox whatever you want it and there are so many extentions I can't live without now.

better supported

I assume your talking about standard support(css, html, xml, etc.) and not the number of html pages (don't limit yourself to internet webpages) that the browser will work with.

If an HTML page doesn't work in Firefox, it's caused by a lazy developer who only checked to see if it worked in IE, or for some reason it's using ActiveX(Which can be bypassed with a Firefox extension) Quite a few of those same developers also force you to use IE to visit their page, because they know it works in that and don't wanna be responsible for making it work in other browsers as well.

In fact, it generally takes more work to get something to display properly in IE than it does in FF.

In fact, it generally takes more work to get something to display properly in IE than it does in FF.

I don't dispute that, however the Internet along with a few thousand web based corporate applications were broken around IE. Due to hundreds of hacks, tweaks, and piss poor programming, IE works “correctly” (and I use that very loosely) on more html based pages then FF. Also IE is still used my the majority of the people out there making this hacks, tweaks, and piss poor programming a requirement.

Since the IE coders are paid, it doesn't follow principle to fix problems unless the company pays them to fix them. As a result, the company has to decide to pay the programmers to fix the problems before the programmers even get around to doing it. If the company decides the problems aren't worth paying the programmers to fix them, then the programmers don't fix them, even if the problems are very serious.

Contrast to free open-source software, where there's no corporate bureaucracy getting in the way of improving the product.

Of course, we could all just put 24-bit PNGs with alpha transparency channels in our sigs and you'd wonder why the damn things don't display right in IE. Not our problem: Firefox displays them perfectly. :)

better supported

If an HTML page doesn't work in Firefox, it's caused by a lazy developer who only checked to see if it worked in IE, or for some reason it's using ActiveX(Which can be bypassed with a Firefox extension) Quite a few of those same developers also force you to use IE to visit their page, because they know it works in that and don't wanna be responsible for making it work in other browsers as well.

FF actually has that problem covered... http://ietab.mozdev.org/