TSori

1. work-in-progress To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy X , live trumpet and Doublebass Duet

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

 

About a week ago a friend of mine that plays bass asked me to record a duet of To Zanarkand with him on trumpet.  Rather than just transcribe the piano part I thought it'd be cool to change it up a bit and see if we could put a Remix together.   The end result is a pretty fairly conservative arrangment with some stylistic variations (mostly in the bass part) intended to give the feeling of walking through various areas of a ruined city.  

 

I have a first draft that I'm pretty happy with, and now would like some feedback on the arrangement.  What can I do to make it better?   All I have right now is a midi and sheet music.  Once the arrangement is finalized we will record it live.

Thanks for your help!

 Midi and score are both here:

Midi and Score

Source :

To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy X

 

EDIT:.  Hmm  over  a hundred views but no replies..   just checking but are people not able to get to the files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having the same experience as you (and other people as well it seems) that your post may get 100's of views but no comments. The files work fine, that's not it. I suspect there are just a lot of viewers who either don't have an account, but just want to get the 'pretty muziks', or maybe people don't feel competent enough to provide meaningful feedback.

I'm going to have to come back to this later and give you my thoughts. Right now I can't properly listen to it. From what I've heard so far it is definitely on the conservative side. Perhaps you can go for a slightly darker mood - walking through a ruined city might elicit a sense of defeat or something.

I'll be back:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH

Two things tend to scare people away - .mid and sheet music

I would listen to it but at the moment can't load midi files in a way that will actually sound good.  I'll come back to it when I can, but that may be the reason that people pass over.
If you can get a render of the midi, even just directly converting it to mp3/wav and upload it to like soundcloud that would help a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are lazy (I know I am) and instant gratification (in the form of being able to play a piece of music immediately without having to download it) can be a big help. John has valid points here. If there's an easy way to play the track right away, I might chip in with comments. If I have to work on it (downloading, connecting midi device and praying it'll sound somewhat decent), not so much.

Also, keep in mind that there's a lot of people out there who just enjoy listening to music, rather than commenting or being musicians writing detailed critiques - that group is a lot smaller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info guys.   I'm traveling right now but I 'll try to make the recording more accessible!

 

Its not a huge deal.  While having comments would be great.  I originally put this together intending to do a straight cover but as i had a few ideas I thought it was worth putting up here to see how hard it'd be to get into OCR worthy shape.

 

Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 1:46 AM, JohnStacy said:

TBH

Two things tend to scare people away - .mid and sheet music

I would listen to it but at the moment can't load midi files in a way that will actually sound good.  I'll come back to it when I can, but that may be the reason that people pass over.
If you can get a render of the midi, even just directly converting it to mp3/wav and upload it to like soundcloud that would help a lot.

 

21 hours ago, Jorito said:

People are lazy (I know I am) and instant gratification (in the form of being able to play a piece of music immediately without having to download it) can be a big help. John has valid points here. If there's an easy way to play the track right away, I might chip in with comments. If I have to work on it (downloading, connecting midi device and praying it'll sound somewhat decent), not so much.

Also, keep in mind that there's a lot of people out there who just enjoy listening to music, rather than commenting or being musicians writing detailed critiques - that group is a lot smaller.

I guess that's just the "sad" reality of things on the internet. I suppose if you really want to get good feedback, you have to ask specific people directly (I remember reading something like that in one of the sticky posts). New people should definitely be aware of this, lest they be disappointed or discouraged. I have to admit I was a little disappointed myself. I had different expectations of this site. It helps to know that it's not just me who's not getting much in terms of comments. :D

I suppose I understand that tendency to skip over things that don't immediatly supply the sound, but this place could be better if people were willing to put in some extra effort. I kind of want to be that person who goes the extra mile, so to speak.

EDIT: just an additional note. My recent mix thread has 85+ views, but the play count on the soundcloud file is 6, and I'm fairly sure 3 or 4 of those plays are my own. Maybe the count only goes up after a full play, otherwise the math doesn't add up. That would suggest that people click on the post, knowing somewhat what to expect based on the title, and then basically abandoning the post right away without listening. That could make a person very anxious, wondering if maybe people can't see the file, or the link. And if no one will bother to comment one way or the other, you're just left wondering what you're doing wrong.

 

Anyway, on to the thing then:

5 hours ago, TSori said:

Thanks for the info guys.   I'm traveling right now but I 'll try to make the recording more accessible!

Its not a huge deal.  While having comments would be great.  I originally put this together intending to do a straight cover but as i had a few ideas I thought it was worth putting up here to see how hard it'd be to get into OCR worthy shape.

I've listened to the midi file now and I checked the sheet as well. I'm definitely with the other guys when they say we need eithere a better rendering or some type of recording. The midi just doesn't deliver on the sound quality or mood (lacking articulation etc). In my mind I imagine the real recording would sound kind of jazzy, kind of noir-ish.

If you intended a straight cover then I guess you won't need to add more. If you do want to get creative I suggest working on the first half of the song, on the trumpet part particularly. I can't really specify beyond that. It depends on what mood you're trying to set.

I wish you safe travels and hope to hear a recording in the near future :) Good luck!
 

Edited by BloomingLate
Added additional comment relating to the discussion of views versus comments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair points all around.   When i get back home I'll do some experimenting with the arrangement .  Id like to build toward a very dark, noir type feeling .  Ill also make sure i upload an mp3 with more definition.  

 

Thanks all for the comments and feedback.  I appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now