OCR03810 - *YES* Mega Man 2 "Made of Metal"

Gario

Hello, 

Here is a new submission from Elrinth & PsyNES! Hopefully we'll get our second tune to OCReMix! :)

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged - Mega Man 2 NES
  • Name of arrangement - Made of Metal
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Metal Man
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - none
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - I think this is on your site already
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
    Been loving Metal Man's music ever since I first heard it over at a friend's place where he showed me Mega Man 2. I was blown away by how much it had improved from the first game. Now much later, I started making music for realz I came in contact with Jarskie (PsyNES) around 2009 or 2010 when I started using Renoise. We saw big plans after our first MM2 remix (FlashMan). We started working on the next track which had to be Metal Man stage because it is my favourite track among the boss stages. Jarskie had pretty much already laid down the foundation for the song and the sound, so I took the freedom of throwing around and arranging it a bit. As usual we throw the track between eachother every few days or weeks or however long it takes for one person to add changes. I had this idea that there would be metal works sounds in the track. So I searched like crazy online for free online anvil hammer sounds. So there's a couple of places in the track with that sound. We equilized that sound a great deal so it wouldn't become annoying. After coming around 70-80% completion Jarskie came up with the great idea to use some groove and it fit the song like a glove.  I'm quite satisfied with the outcome and I wish I would take more time and arrange the rest of the MM2 songs as we initially had planned.  -Elrinth

Amazing we can still get clever new EDM out of this tune, after all these years and a dozen remixes on OCR alone.  And this is definitely clever and new.  Even beyond all the glitching and effects, there are neat variations on the melody I've never heard before.  I pick out more every time I listen to it--not because there's anything wrong with the balance, but because there's so much going on.  Production is clean despite all that.  I have no beef with this.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/01/02 - (1Y) Mega Man 2 'Made of Metal'

Yeah, they did an amazing job on this one. Only reason I didn't DP it was because things are a bit slow on here; y'all need some new blood on here.

It's really, really good, with clean production, clever arranging, excellent use of samples and some intense energy that doesn't get too overbearing. Absolutely great work, here.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2018/01/02 - (2Y) Mega Man 2 'Made of Metal'

The mixing was a little cluttered, and there was some dullness to the sound that made it seem like some high-end frequencies got cut somehow, but those were nitpicks about an overall creative, fun, and spirited arrangement. At 2:57, the original writing felt aimless and wasn't melodious, but it didn't necessarily have to be and it did change things up relative to the source tune before going back to it at 3:25. Generally speaking, no meaningful issues here. Rubber stamp. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/01/02 - (3Y) Mega Man 2 'Made of Metal'
  • 1 month later...

Good use of stereo space. Synths are crisp, with a nice air to them. Dynamics are punchy, with a solid rhythm driving the mix forward. Separation of the instruments is achieved quite well, with a good amount of low end on the bass instruments that doesn't interfere with the other parts playing along. Arrangement progression does feel a little samey at times, despite featuring a number of transitions to different melodies (or variations thereof). This is mostly due to the underlying elements being relatively static, but thankfully, creative use of glitching and the introduction of different lead sounds add much needed variation to the mix as it progresses. The break starting at 3:25 provided an enjoyable change of pace, which I feel could've occurred earlier.  The glitch filled ending sequence was relatively clever but could've been more musical. Overall, while the mix is somewhat predictable given the source material, things are well presented and move along at a solid pace. No major issues.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2018/01/02) *YES - TAG - NEED 44kHz* Mega Man 2 "Made of Metal"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic