OCR03851 - *YES* Sonic CD (JP) "Dream Current"

Gario

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/12/13 - Sonic CD (JP) "Dream Current"

I feel like I say this a lot, but: Typical Tripp fare.  A smidge quiet, instruments are a bit fakey, but otherwise production is more than acceptable.  A conservative but expansive orchestration.  The three repeated backing notes do get a little old, but it's not really noticeable until the outtro.  Seems fine to me.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

The bassline turned into mud, but de-emphasizing it does help to give this a different character from the original, so I can appreciate the difference. Agreed with MindWanderer on some of the instrumentation feeling stilted; it was mostly the string sustains, but they weren't a big part and didn't stand out in a huge way. By the halfway mark, I was wanting to hear this go in a more different direction with the instrumentation and textures, and that finally came around the 2:30 mark with the next iteration of the chorus. The timing of the bassline felt behind there as well, but no big deal. I'm with MW that this was a conservative take but well-personalized with the instrumentation. Rebecca brings it yet again. Good energy here!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/12/13 - (2Y) Sonic CD (JP) "Dream Current"

Not much to add to what's been said.  I'll echo the bass line sounded indistinct and behind a bit on timing (could be due to some atmospheric effects.  I liked that it focused on the melodic elements more than the original did.  Soundscape was nicely filled out as well.

Clear connections to the original, but with some personalization in the instrumentation and writing.

Nice, chill feel to it.  Good stuff.

YES

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/12/13 - (3Y) Sonic CD (JP) "Dream Current"
  • 3 months later...

Agreed about the bassline being mud, it's very washed out.  Also, the bass writing feels too busy, or at least, it tends to clash with the drum/perc writing more than it should, rather than complimenting it.  Starting at 0:30, the bass has swing and the drums don't (later on, bass and drums both have swing, which feels better). Other than that, the rest is dreamy and luscious.  Rebecca, I still recommend you look into finding ways to make your soundscape more distinct, more 3D.  This could be so much more lively than it is.  Regardless, it is lovely.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/12/13 - (4Y) Sonic CD (JP) "Dream Current"
  • Liontamer locked this topic