OCR01531 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Dark World Prelude & March"

djpretzel

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Uhhh...that's all I can say really.

WinAmp > iTunes. (also xmms) Ha!

Okay, but it still doesn't change the fact that all the other songs play in itunes and this one doesn't. Also I'm not likely to switch to.... wait a minute. Did you say WinAmp is better than Itunes? What's the color of the sky in your world, sweetheart?

Ummm....I use itunes for the sole reason for keeping my ipod happy...so I thank Black Mage for the fix. Seriously man...there is no comparison between winamp and itunes. If you like itunes better you got tomatoes in your head.

The file on OCRemix seems to be missing a header or something. Winamp would play the file, but not report any information like song length.

And I'd prefer to hear a re-encode of the master audio than that 128Kbps-ish MP3 run through an encoder again at 112Kbps.

The beginning, i.e. everything up to 2:38 does not catch my attention. It works as some kind of background music / movie score, but it doesn't enthral me.

This changes once the song really "starts" at 2:38. It's still very movie score-ish (as many posters before me have pointed out), but it's more interesting than before.

All in all, I say "nice work".

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I imported this song to ACID then imported it to iTunes and it worked fine, i'm sure the free program mixxx found on www.mixxx.org could do the same but I haven't actually tried it and I can't guarantee that it will work. Anyway- This song has a lot of potential, but it doesn't really sound like dark mountain until it gets near the end. I like it, but it seems that there could be more.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had trouble getting this into iTunes as well; it is the only problem file in the entire OCR 1001~1700 torrent. I used foobar2000 to rebuild the MP3 stream (this program has nice MP3 correction tools). All the tags were left exactly as-is*. Now it works just fine in iTunes. I've hosted the fixed file here:

http://host.kg13.com/ocr/remix/Zelda_3_Dark_World_Prelude_&_March_OC_ReMix.mp3

*I used the site download version rather than the torrent version.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The first half was the best in the world and it was only the second half that allowed me to like it, but really I do like it. I don't have a problem with the samples and the march itself is epic on it's own. It has a movie soundtrack feeling to it and that's a plus for me. Not the best, but it does the job.

• 6 months later...

I'm not a big critic of bad samples because I think it deviates too much from the point of remixing, but in this case I find it justified to make an exception.

With the way this mix is arranged, it is crucial that the samples are there to support it. And sadly, they arent. To go at the source material with full bombasity was unwarranted, in my opinion. If the mixer didn't have the sample library at his disposal, it would have benefited the piece to scale down the creative vision and work with what he had.

To be honest, I actually really enjoy the sparseness and the dissonance from the prelude. It has a lot of really nice, understated moments and it's not marred by the synthetic orchestra so much as the main portion.

My main problem with this mix is that the ambition and the execution do not match up, to the point where things sound wrong. The arrangement is clearly there, but it has nothing but the dullest of sounds to prove itself.

I don't get much of a kick out of listening to this one.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01531 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Dark World Prelude & March"