OCR03850 - *YES* Half-Life 2 "Portal Storm"

Gario

Remixer Name: Redg

Game arranged: Halflife 2
Name of Arrangement: Portal Storm (http://tindeck.com/dl/lxrs)
Song Arranged: LG Orbifold (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irRSLVYgFI)

Sup ya'll. It's been a while. I'll start by apologizing for my complete absence from the judges panel. I have no excuse, life got extremely hectic and I was too dissected to leave a note or anything. I would not be mad if I am demoted. I'm subbing this old Half-Life remix I dug up.

Some cool leads and solid production. This was one of the first tracks I sat down with and really focused on the mix. I spent a stupid amount of time tweaking this thing trying to learn the secrets of \M/ production. I think it probably makes the cut. I hope to be more active in OCR when I get my dumb life shit straightened out!

These timestamps are original instrumental sections:
1:33-3:03 (90 seconds)
3:36-4:28 (52 seconds)

That's 142 seconds out of 360, making a bit over half of the track representing source material which are the bass riffs and lead melodies.

Peace, Brent

To be honest, I think this a a great arrangement for such a limited source, and the production values are really good, to boot (some great use of stereo seperation throughout, making the track sound very full). The performances are great, and the SFX are well used.

Nitpicking, using the flange on the whole track at 1:26 is pretty distracting. It's used elsewhere to excellent effect (like at 2:16), but on the whole track it's distracting. Could be just my opinion so I won't hang much on that. The rhythm guitar at 4:00 sounds like it hits a note a half step too sharp for the harmony, which while it doesn't afflict the track long does distract me a bit.

Definitely nitpicking with those comments, though; overall the track makes for an excellent power ballade. The arrangement is top notch while being wholely recognizeable, to boot. Yeah, definitely should be on the front page.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/12/06 - (1Y) Half-Life 2 'Portal Storm'

Can't argue with much of that.  I didn't mind the full-track flange; it was just for a second, so the effect was similar to, for instance, the explosion at 5:01.

I did think the panning was a bit severe in places (e.g. 3:07-3:17), making me wonder if my left headphone was working correctly.  But those sections were brief.

Definitely a top-notch performance and arrangement.

YES

• 4 months later...
  • Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/12/06 - (3Y) Half-Life 2 'Portal Storm'
  • 1 month later...

Damn, this song has a perfect buildup to some face-melting goodness at 0:56.  I wasn't expecting this going in that hard but I was pretty happy it did.  There's an ample expansion of the original source here, and I'm honestly impressed that you managed to make such a long track and it never gets into repetition or staleness issues.  The soloing is intense, and I loved that ending.

Production is clean and full, the drums are punchy and each instrument has their own space to fill.  

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/12/06) *YES - TAG* Half-Life 2 "Portal Storm"
  • Liontamer locked this topic