*NO* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 'Unholy Thunder'

Gario

ReMix: 

ReMixer name: Vidilian

Email: 

Game arranged:  The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Arrangement name: Unholy Thunder

Songs arranged: Aboard Divine Beast Vah Naboris (1 Terminal Active and All Terminals Active)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

Vanilla synths and a thin soundscape are my main concerns here.  The arrangement is fair, but every single one of these synths is a tough sell--they're very simple and lacking in timbre.  The only bass are a couple of simple hums.  The leads more than wear out their welcome.

I feel like this was probably meant to be AdLib-era chiptunes, and as an OST from that period of PC games, I think this might be OK.  I'm going to hold off on voting for now, because in principle, that should be a valid approach, but I'm having a very hard time appreciating it.  I'll see what others have to say.

Update 10/3: Validation is validating.

NO

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 7:04 PM, MindWanderer said:

Vanilla synths and a thin soundscape are my main concerns here.  The arrangement is fair, but every single one of these synths is a tough sell--they're very simple and lacking in timbre.  The only bass are a couple of simple hums.  The leads more than wear out their welcome.

Nothing I disagree with here. The interpretive approach is there, but the sound design's pretty simplistic; MindWanderer's right that the synths are all really plain and also rigid-sounding. And when things picked up at :57, the soundscape became pretty cluttered; not even sure why the cymbal shots were there, for example; all you really heard distinctly in that section was the lead synth and the kicks.

There's a dropoff at 1:35, but the track still didn't feel like it had much direction; not that this would have to be super-melodic, but there's just nothing here giving the piece a direction.

The rebuild back into 2:32's section was OK, but again the soundscape was very cluttered when things were busier; the string sustains were too loud (and arguably off-key in spots).

Sorry to just point out potential flaws; I like that you're going for a different genre and more dynamic contrast in this arrangement, Vidal, but there's not much of a flow here, and the production isn't on point yet either.

Hit the Workshop forums for some more feedback on this piece and see if you can get more advice on ways to possibly give this more compositional directional as well as a richer, more polished and clearer sound.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/06/03 - (1N/1?) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 'Unholy Thunder'
  • 1 month later...

I don't feel much connection to this source and it's a source I know well.  It's a bold source to choose to remix since the source is somewhat nebulous.  The synths are super simple and need some motion/interest/modulation/sidechaining or something.  Beats are simple and thin.  Good start but this needs some work.  I agree with Larry about hitting up our workshop.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2018/06/03 - (3N) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 'Unholy Thunder'
  • Liontamer locked this topic