Secret of Evermore - Introduction remix

psycosulu

Anytime I see Secret of Evermore, you have my attention. Great source selection!

On the production side of things, there isn't a lot of mud, which is really nice. Utilizing some more reverb and panning will help this mix tremendously. The synth arp that comes in at 1:03, in particular, would be nice if you either panned some of the notes or added slight delay effect with a pan.

Arrangement wise... You have interesting ideas, but everything plods along too much and suffers from a lack of dynamic range. 1:50-3:18 doesn't fit with the rest of the arrangement for a track being billed as synthwave. Try introducing different synth instrumentation into that section, or consider scrapping everything altogether and reworking it into something new. That's your creative call.

Check out Jorito's recently posted track or sift through some of Sir_NutS' catalog for good synthwave inspiration from within this community. You have a decent base thus far. Look forward to your future update!

Ah, thanks for the critique.  I'll definitely add some more reverb and panning.

As for 1:50-3:18, it's for a contest where we have to mash genres so I might just end up making two versions.  One for the contest and one just being a straight synthwave cover. 

Also, I follow Jorito, he makes some really good stuff. :)

Thanks again for taking time out of your day to give some feedback!

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the long wait on formal feedback; always love SoE music, so I wanted to check this out. As soon as I heard the opening synths, the parts seemed really vanilla and bland, BUT I could definitely imagine a capable producer then busting out of a purposefully minimal opening to hit you with a dense track, which is exactly what should have happened at :29 but unfortunately didn't.

In any case, the sequencing's too stiff, the soundscape is too dry, the parts don't have any meat/heft to them, there's little in the way of dynamic contrast (because even when parts were dropping in and out, and the overall energy level was always at the same). The arrangement's also way too repetitive and undeveloped, but it appears as if maybe the length was more about showing a proof of concept. The sitar at 2:16 was a cool approach as the lead.

Obviously you have a lot to learn, so there's no problem starting from somewhere; you'd do well by checking out other artists doing stuff in the vein of what you're doing here and find out what they do - Just Coffee would be the person that comes to mind given the initial instrumentation of this SoE piece; I know it isn't going for an 80s-pop style, just that he's successful in styles where you have more robotic/grid-style timing and need denser effects/fuller soundscapes.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!