Street Fighter V - Jazzy NYC Remix ("Bronx Bomber")

In my ten years as a member of OC Remix, I've only ever once submitted a song to the judges, and said submission was soundly (and rightfully) rejected. Since the time of my last submission (approximately eight years ago), I feel that my musicianship has improved markedly, both in terms of my ability to arrange a song, and my ability to play instruments. As such, I am submitting a remix that I feel confident will get accepted, and even if not, I am still satisfied by how much I've grown as a musician. 

Having said all that, my remix is of the ever popular (at least among us YouTube remixers) "Jazzy NYC" by Hideki Okugawa. The composition originated with 1997's Street Fighter III: New Generation, but the latest iteration appears in 2016's Street Fighter V. Five versions of the theme have appeared throughout the main Street Fighter series (Underground Edit, Street Edit, NY House Mix, '99, '16). My remix is based primarily on the Underground Edit. I incorporated the police sirens, and part of the violin melody, but dispensed of the James Brown/Lyn Collins sample. I opted for a guitar solo in place of the marimba solo found in the original song, which was a choice influenced by the Street Fighter V version of the theme. A number of disparate musical influences contributed to the sound of this remix, including; Kool and the Gang, Joe Daniels (Local H), Janet Weiss (Sleater Kinney), Victor Wooten, Cliff Burton (Metallica), and A Tribe Called Quest.

Other useful information about this song

BPM: 107

Style: Jazz

Software: GarageBand, Audacity

Instruments: Ibanez Talmon Guitar 

Midi Controller: Casio CTK 2300

Guitar Interface: iRig

Street Fighter V - Jazzy NYC Remix ("Bronx Bomber")

Source Material: Street Fighter III New Generation - Jazzy NYC (Underground Edit) 

Feedback is welcome, and appreciated. I hope that the judges enjoy my remix enough to add it to the OC Remix database. 

16 hours ago, Audiobinger said:

You really put a lot of work into this. I actually like this better than the original. I love the guitar solo. The sound quality is really good. I use Logic Pro X but always have a sweet spot for Garageband. 

Thank you for the compliment! I certainly put forth my best effort in creating my arrangement of this song. I've dabbled with so many DAWs over the years, including Pro Tools, Reason, NanoStudio, and of course GarageBand. One day, I'd like to get Logic Pro for my Mac. 

On 7/20/2018 at 5:26 AM, Vidilian said:

My favourite version of this theme is the '99 one in Third Strike. I'm liking your take on it better than what I remember the Street fighter 5 version sounding like. The tone of guitar and sax is especially cool. Good luck.

Thank you for the well wish. I have not yet received a rejection notice, so it would seem that I have a chance at getting approved. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed my take on the theme. Thank you for listening and commenting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 5:53 AM, Ridiculously Garrett said:

If there were anything more I'd want from this, it might some form of auxiliary percussion. But I like it nonetheless. 

Thank you for listening, and thank you for the feedback. If the judges decline my submission, I will incorporate your suggestion for a future revision. 

On 8/10/2018 at 6:10 PM, Kronotiq Sounds said:

Jazzy NYC is one of my earliest VGM favorites - and I feel like you did it one cool, cool brand of justice. The guitar-string combo was a perfect way to kick off the song, and I love the use of sirens for that bit of environmental ambience.

- ichordic

Thank you! Your reaction is encouraging. I am glad that you enjoyed my take on Jazzy NYC. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 1:44 PM, Cupcom5 said:

This is pretty awesome!

The detail you put into this is truly amazing on all levels.

I haven't heard anything from my submissions in quite a while as well. I too, haven't uploaded in a while to improve myself.

That said, really hope your submission gets picked. =)

@Cupcom5 Thank you for the compliments about my work, and for the encouragement. I hope that your submissions are selected as well! Good luck! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love a lot of Capcom's mid-to-late 90's arcade OSTs (CotA, X-Men vs. SF, Darkstalkers), but I'm actually not too familiar with SF3's (or any of its iterations). Somehow it wasn't on my radar back in the day so I never formed an attachment to it.

That said, listening to the original track here, I agree with Audiobinger - your remix is better to my ear than the original. I think you captured the spirit of it but took it in a new, smoother, groovier direction and avoided some of the repetitious elements of the original that make it less listenable for me (those constant "YEAHs" and "WOOs" are of their era and a bit overused, haha).

The underlying synth chords at the beginning set a nice, chill mood, and the guitar solo at 0:51 - 1:12 is a highlight for me - that unexpected tonal shift at 0:58 is great. And the sax parts later on fit the rest of the arrangement like a glove. The sirens are subtle but they help give the piece some extra atmosphere. Might be worth experimenting with some aux percussion as Ridiculously Garrett suggests, but I personally wouldn't change it much. Best of luck getting this approved!

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2018 at 7:50 PM, Eladar said:

I love a lot of Capcom's mid-to-late 90's arcade OSTs (CotA, X-Men vs. SF, Darkstalkers), but I'm actually not too familiar with SF3's (or any of its iterations). Somehow it wasn't on my radar back in the day so I never formed an attachment to it.

That said, listening to the original track here, I agree with Audiobinger - your remix is better to my ear than the original. I think you captured the spirit of it but took it in a new, smoother, groovier direction and avoided some of the repetitious elements of the original that make it less listenable for me (those constant "YEAHs" and "WOOs" are of their era and a bit overused, haha).

The underlying synth chords at the beginning set a nice, chill mood, and the guitar solo at 0:51 - 1:12 is a highlight for me - that unexpected tonal shift at 0:58 is great. And the sax parts later on fit the rest of the arrangement like a glove. The sirens are subtle but they help give the piece some extra atmosphere. Might be worth experimenting with some aux percussion as Ridiculously Garrett suggests, but I personally wouldn't change it much. Best of luck getting this approved!

I just realized that I didn't respond to your comment like I had done for everyone else. Thank you so much for listening to my arrangement, and for such thorough feedback.

- I originally played the chord progression on a grand piano software instrument, but felt that doing so made my arrangement too similar to the original work. I wanted a tone that retained the same feel as the original piece, but just a tad more mellow so as to allow for more freedom to explore the overall groove.

- At first I was reluctant to include the siren as I thought it would muddy the polyphony, but later felt it was a necessary addition in order to thematically link my arrangement to the original version of Jazzy NYC rather than its much more popular remix, Jazzy NYC '99.

- Interestingly enough, my initial take did include the James Brown and Lyn Collins "Woo! Yeah" sample, as it is arguably the most defining aspect of the original composition. However, like you, I found the sample too repetitive. I tried separating the sample so that the "yeah" would appear once in a measure, followed by the "woo" once in the next measure, but the result seemed atonal rather than melodic. I wound up scrapping the sample in favor of incorporating the aforementioned siren.

- I'm drawn to syncopation, and often try to employ it in my arrangements to varying degrees of success (or at times with no success at all lol). In my college years, I was a huge fan of The Fall of Troy, and their lead guitarist, Thomas Erak, routinely composed songs that had multiple shifts in time signature. Though I don't personally do prog rock arrangements, I still took inspiration from Thomas' composition style. I love the way syncopation makes a short piece seem like several songs played over the space of a much longer period of time, all while still sounding like one cohesive performance.

- I've had no reply from the judges yet, by e-mail or here on the forums. I assume that the judges are either really swamped, or that my remix has been lost in the shuffle. Here is hoping for the best. Thank you again!