*NO* Adventures of Lolo 'Tresillolo'

Gario

Hi!

I’d like to submit my arrangement of the Ending Theme from the Adventures of Lolo for the NES. It is not a remix in the traditional sense where any melody or chords or form is altered. It’s remixed in the sense that I’ve arranged all of the original notes (all three voices) to be played by one person live on the piano. I hope you consider my arrangement acceptable for OCR. :D

Contact Information

• 88bit
• Rob Kovacs

• User ID: 23320

Submission Information

• The Adventures of Lolo 
• Tresillolo
• Ending Theme from The Adventures of Lolo
• This is an NES game publish by HAL. Music composed by Hideki Kanazashi 
• I got really sick one week and had plenty of time to play through this challenging game! I really liked the music and was kind of blown away by how intricate this final song is. And so few people have probably heard (compared to other video game tunes.) I want to help preserve some of the early music and performing music live is an important step for music to live on. The trickiest part in playing this piece is the speed, (repeated notes don’t work nicely on piano) and figuring out a way to get all three voices in two hands. The wildly jumpy bass part is also pretty tricky. 

Thanks for listening!
Rob

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Wow, now that's an upright piano, if I ever heard one; they really do have a certain characteristic to them that make them stand out. They're not as bright or clean as a grand piano, but for something as playful as this it's almost even better. That piano does need a bit of a tune-up, though. Again, adds to the charm in some ways, but give that piano some tunin' love!

Anyhoo, performance is spot-on, and the recording is clean. The arrangement is definitely cutting it close to the 'Too Conservative' bar, though. I hear some flurishes that keep it interesting as it moves forward - moving that bass down in order to increase the density of the track as it goes on, for example - but it's still pretty close.

I can see others voting the other direction on it's conservative nature alone, but I think this has enough character and juuuust enough variation to put me on the other side of the vote. I love me some playful piano music, so I'm on board.

YES

Yeah, sorry, but I'm going to come down on the other side of this.  There are some subtle twists on the original, mostly in the second half of the arrangement, which I might let slide if it weren't for the fact that the second half is a minor variation on the first half.  Melodically and structurally, it's 2 1/3 loops of the same thing.  Add the fact that both versions consist of three sections which, internally, consist of several loops each, and the overall effect is extremely repetitive.

It's nice to see Lolo get some love (I remember this theme fondly), and the upright "player piano" sound of it works nicely, but I don't think the arrangement is interpretive or expansive enough for the site.

NO

• 2 months later...

Reasonably well-performed but there's practically 0 interpretation in this adaptation to piano; I actually thought MindWanderer was too charitable. Way too straightforward and repetitive with no meaningful development or variation. Good performance though, Rob; definitely send over another piano piece that is more interpretive and developed, it'd fare better when looked at with OCR's arrangement/interpretation standards in mind.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/12/15 - (1Y/2N) Adventures of Lolo 'Tresillolo'
  • 1 month later...

I thought things started off ok - no major production issues from me (which I would expect from a solo piano mix). Piano could do with being a bit less stiff. As we hit the 1:17 mark, I found there wasn’t much in the way of personal interpretation of the original - apart from short licks at the end of each set of bars, things remain relatively similar right through to the conclusion.

From my perspective, your mix has a good foundation here for some personalisation … and that kind of sums up how I feel where this is at currently - a starting point for something bigger. The repetitive nature of the original comes through too much here, and there’s a lot of potential to build this into something more substantial. I would like you to revisit this and see what you can come up with.

NO

Oh man, I love this piano playing!  It's just a straight playthrough of the source though, which isn't transformative enough for OCR, but I'm loving it.  I'm feeling like I'd love to add a drum groove and bassline and synths to this!  I'd love to hear this again with something unique added to set it apart from the original.

NO (but I'd love it if you resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/12/15 - (1Y/4N) Adventures of Lolo 'Tresillolo'
  • Liontamer locked this topic