forum id: 12956

ReMixer name: DS
email: 
ReMixer name: GameroftheWinds
email: 

ReMixer name: Damian Nguyen
email: 

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Nemesis 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_3:_The_Eve_of_Destruction)
Name of Arrangement: Follow the Sun
Names of songs arranged: We Followed The Sun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHso_ZbG2mo), Memories (Prologue 1) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stiAJHkaL3Q)
Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

This track goes back a loooong way, all the way back to August 2014. At the time, I just acquired a new orchestral sample library and was experimenting with it. That experiment turned into the first minute of this track, but I shelved the track since, and it was all but forgotten until the free round of PRC arrived at the end of 2017. I remembered this track again and figured it would be a good excuse to dust it off and give it another go. I did manage to finish the arrangement in time for the compo and ultimately won that round. 

However, I wasn’t 100% happy with it just yet. I was planning to polish up my MIDI some more and submit it to OCR, but when I posted the track on Discord, John Stacy reacted with a “hey, this sounds nice to play on” I started thinking. While I would love to have my arrangements played by a real orchestra, changes of that happening are slim. So I went for the next best option: go on a recruiting spree, try to get as many live performances in the track as possible, and incorporate and layer them with the samples. The performances by John, Damian, Gregory, Dave and Ryan really added a lot of life, depth and nuance to the track and improved the final result greatly. Good result, good vibes, making new friends, yeah, no reason not to be pleased with this one!

Full credits:

Arrangement, production: Jorito
French horn, trombone, trumpet: John Stacy
Oboe, English horn: Damian Nguyen
Piccolo, flute, clarinet: GameroftheWinds
Bassoon: DS
Vocals/choir: BardicKnowledge

Source usage:

Most of it is pretty easily recognizable as “Follow The Sun”, with the part 1:28 - 2:34 heavily leaning on “Memories”, transcribed into a different key and with some liberties taken to make it sit nicely.

Lyrics:

To the Sun (4x)

Cheers,
Jorrith

• 3 weeks later...

The source usage being dominant easily checked out from the primary source tune alone, so there was no need to timestamp this. Good rise in the energy level returning back to the main source after the second theme interlude was done. Not much to say beyond "nice work" in terms of fleshing out these original songs. Nice job to Jorrith and the entire team!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/03/12 - (1Y) Nemesis 3 "Follow the Sun"
  • 3 weeks later...

There's one thing about this that immediately leaps out, belying the idea that this is a real orchestra: it's super dry.  A space big enough to hold all these performers would have way more reverb.

That's my only real concern, though.  The arrangement is a lot of fun, and both your performers and your libraries are really strutting their stuff.  I kind of hope this does get sent back, because I'd love to hear this again with just that one tweak, because it really does make a difference.  But I'm not going to reject it just for that.

YES

• 4 months later...

Really nice take on the source tunes. Never heard this OST before, it's pretty good.

Live performances are great and as a result, I feel like the sequenced strings are being exposed, especially the lower marcato stuff. I think you'd have done better to lean on your wind players in that regard.

Either way, it's still way above the bar. I like it! YES

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2018/03/12 - (3Y) Nemesis 3 "Follow the Sun"

As always, Jorito delivers a great, detailed arrangement that also sounds pretty clean.  I love that this retains that classic Konami feel to the music, almost as if this was the version of this track for a modern remake.  The addition of the real instruments just help lift this track even higher, as the lines are perfectly delivered.  They do seem to create a contrast between them and the sequenced elements that exposes the artificial orchestral elements a bit, but nothing to detract from the track as a whole, IMO.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/03/12 - *YES - TAG* Nemesis 3 "Follow the Sun"
  • Liontamer locked this topic