Final Fantasy VI - Terra's Theme

SixtyAight

I already see that I have a lot of work to do in my production and layering. Just a few hours of tutorial surfing on YouTube, I see that most of my efforts were naive.

This is a track I'll certainly come back to in a while and see if I can mix it anew once I have more experience under my belt.

Nevertheless, if anyone can offer their perspective, I'd love to hear what you have to say!

My first impression was that this is a dark steam punk rendering of the song. Which takes place in a world of magical steam punk. I kinda like the direction! You create a definitive clunky and airy atmosphere for the song with all the effects, but the melody is verily drowned under it all. I would focus on balancing the well beloved source with the more ambient aspects of this little project, as well as tuning the sound of said effects. A little more Terra, a little more balanced sfx, and I think you'll have something really cool going here.

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the unreasonably long wait on a formal evaluation, but I'm glad to check into this now. I'm definitely open to tracks where the source tune references are more quiet than usual, but I'd argue they were too quiet and understated in this case. That said, it's a creative approach. The opening stutter build subtly referencing the percussion parts of the source's intro was a detail that I could see most people overlooking, but I appreciated it. The drone/beat was creatively done but ends up feeling not substantive enough due to how quiet and de-emphasized the other "Terra"-based part-writing was. It comes off as not much of an arrangement, not out of a quality sense, but in the lack of prominence of the source material; that said, it's a intriguing experiment.

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.

• While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.
  • The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

For consideration to OCR, consider making the lines/parts based on "Terra" more audible, and providing more variation/evolution to the droning beats. This is cool and interesting thus far though; you do have a lot to learn, but don't short-change the creativity you're showing off already. I hope we hear more from you.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!