Castlevania Season 2 Cometh

AngelCityOutlaw

I still haven't had a chance to watch the first season. I've heard mixed things on it, but I know better than to immediately take the word of the ultra-hard-to-please gamer fanbase as gospel and only serve to lower my expectations down to something reasonable.

I hope this season helps satisfy folks across the spectrum all the same.

7 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

I still haven't had a chance to watch the first season. I've heard mixed things on it, but I know better than to immediately take the word of the ultra-hard-to-please gamer fanbase as gospel and only serve to lower my expectations down to something reasonable.

The first season is super short and very easy to watch in one sitting.  I would also highly recommend it, as it is very, very good.

The second season looks really good, too, but I really hope the success of the first season hasn't gone to their head too much that it affects the quality of the second season.

13 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

First season is a great series of pilot episodes (four in total) for a potentially great show - which is probably the first season's greatest weakness. It sets up to be something great with excellent animation, solid character building for all of it's characters and some great action in short bursts, then it's over before it can actually do something amazing with that set-up. You don't have to be into the game series at all to enjoy the episodes, either, as it does a solid job building it's world in it's own right. It might in fact be a reason gamers have mixed reception to this - it actually takes time to acclimate it's non-gamer audience, where the gamers would probably rather spend in the damn castle.

Finishing your analogy, it approaches a climax with some excellent foreplay, but then it never gets there, which blue-balls you for a whole year before the next season comes.

But yeah, go watch the first season - it's a great pilot opening, about as long as a short movie, and shorter than the Ducktales' pilot series of episodes. Then be pumped for the next season, since this is where shit is gonna get real, boyz. Considering they're only making eight episodes for this season (iirc), I doubt the quality will suffer; they've had plenty of time to spend on a relatively short series.

I'm not banking on the quality suffering given the talent behind it, and the fact that Warren Ellis clearly has the story planned (as he has for ten years); I doubt this is going to be a show that goes on and meanders for years.

15 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

Most of the complaints center around it being too short and gamers not understanding that certain things from the game (soundtrack mostly) do not translate well to an animated series or film.

They also complain that Grant isn't in it, but Warren Ellis said 10 years he has no plans to include Grant because "Grant DaNasty" is a stupid name, and a pirate in a landlocked country makes no sense. It makes even less sense since the Ottomans cut off Wallachia from the black sea in the early 15th century. 

• 2 months later...

So I watched the series (I think my fiancee and I binged it over two nights - not a long series, even at twice the length of the first season), and I'll say it's really good*.

*The anime is both quite slow, focusing on political intruigue and the emotional turmoil of the protagonists and antagonists, and at the same time quite fast, once the characters had time to be established the crew runs through the castle at an alarming pace. The action is great, though, and the character moments were really something to behold - even got a little teary-eye'd at the end (no spoilerz, bois).

But yeah, great season 2, and it's nice to see the anime gave some room for another season or two, if people really want it. At the same time, it could end at this point pretty comfortably - I'd be okay with it either way.

Good stuff here, we can forget the haters.