Feedback on some mixes (FF4 and 7)

brunoafh

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on some mixes I've been working on.

www.myspace.com/thealexharmon

It's just a MySpace I use for hosting songs and such, but if anyone would like to give a listen to "Vincent's Theme" and "Final Fantasy 4 Battle Mix" and give me your opinions that would be cool. I'm curious to see what others thinks and which/if I should submit them. Thanks.

Not bad dude, I wouldn't submit either of them yet though. You do have some nice ideas.

Mastering isn't near the bar. The instruments need to sound better. Of course you can fix that with mastering. Also layering with different instruments could reall help you out.

Read the stuff in these two, and then go back and see what you an do.

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68216

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

he didnt mean anything about echo in th music, he was jsut agreeing with the prevoius comments aobut mastering. As far as I can hear this(the FF4 track) sounds way too close to the original to pique my interest much. same goes for vincents theme-> 1:03 in this track, that new instrument that you bring in is too loud, sounds very hollow and sharp next to the other instruments. Needs to be...well...replaced if possible. If not then turn down the volume, pan it out of the middle and eq it a bit better to fit it in. Im actually liking the vincent mix. It just needs more variety and needs to build more. I gotta ask you honestly now, did you import any parts of any midi files to base this tune on..? sorry for askin...but..meh.

also, what the fuck was that bouncy thing at the end of vincents theme. that was just...pure fucking randomness lol.

tbh...these kinda sound like midi rips to me, with a few random instrument reassignments and some of your own random stuff thrown in on top...if im wrong feel free to tell me to shut the fuck up.

edit: ok, ffs i jsut found the ff4 midi on my pc(its even the exact same length as "your" track) that you blatantly ripped straight into fruityloops or something. piss off and make some real music on your own.

FF4: I edited the tracks and added tracks (one being a harmony off the lead, sorry if that's too far beyond your ears :P), completely changed the bass and drums and re-did some of the effects.

Vincents Theme: I'm not sure how you get I ripped the midi and threw random instruments on there with some of my own stuff despite the fact this is a completely new song based on the original one guitar, I wrote new instrument parts there completely myself and put them in. I added some sections also. The only thing I took is the original one guitar because the point of the mix was to add a band to the song and give it atmosphere. Since the song is just one guitar, it's impossible to rip anything off from it. And no new instruments come in at 1:03....

And I know what he meant by he's echoing the remastering comment - hence my question :wink:

Edit: Just to clarify, for Vincent's Theme I wrote:

Drums

2 Guitars

Cello

Synth

Ambience at the end

Piano Part

All written on my own from scratch.

FF4: I edited the tracks and added tracks (one being a harmony off the lead, sorry if that's too far beyond your ears :P), completely changed the bass and drums and re-did some of the effects.

Vincents Theme: I'm not sure how you get I ripped the midi and threw random instruments on there with some of my own stuff despite the fact this is a completely new song based on the original one guitar, I wrote new instrument parts there completely myself and put them in. I added some sections also. The only thing I took is the original one guitar because the point of the mix was to add a band to the song and give it atmosphere. Since the song is just one guitar, it's impossible to rip anything off from it. And no new instruments come in at 1:03....

And I know what he meant by he's echoing the remastering comment - hence my question :wink:

Edit: Just to clarify, for Vincent's Theme I wrote:

Drums

2 Guitars

Cello

Synth

Ambience at the end

Piano Part

All written on my own from scratch.

no, its not beyond my ears, but it's beyond my comprehension how you can still deem this to be an original interpretation/mix of the ff4 battle theme. its a 99% MIDI rip with, as you just admitted, some of your own stuff layered on top. as for vincents theme, there was a bit more work done on your part and it drifted away from the main theme once or twice, but not enough really, it was still fairly close to the original overall and, like you said again, used parts of a midi aswell which is basically stealing other people's work and claiming it as your own, which basically just pisses people off on this site. I'd advise you to rethink exactly what you're doing here and if you plan to continue posting songs here make them 100% performed/sequenced by you yourself or incorporate other peoples work with their 100% consent.

My intentions of the Vincent mix were to add a band to Vincent's theme. Which is what I did exactly, how is that not by me 100%? That is in no way a direct midi rip, and of course it sounds like the original, because it's the song. It would be pointless for me to have stolen a midi file of one guitar playing because it's incredibly easy to tab out. If writing my own completely original tracks to a song isn't my interpretation, I'm affraid I'm not quite certain what is.. I know I didn't change the arrangement that much but I did make some tweaks and add sections. I don't wish to get in a fight with you but I don't like being told to piss off and make my own music when I clearly did.

As for the FF4 theme, my goal was to make the song more techno or tranceish. I suppose I could have done more with it, but that's why I came here posting in the first place.