Gerudo Valley (Shreddage Experiment)

SlapMagik

First off I just want to say thanks to some of OCR's finest musicians for being an inspiration. I occasionally jump on and off of FL Studio, I hit a wall stopping in a lot of projects and don't even bother sharing them. After listening to Zircon, Sixto Sounds, Willrock, and many others I told myself I'll eventually have something somewhat decent. Well anyways here is what I have so far, I have a few things I know have to really work on, the synth at the later half of the song and changing the outro. Please share what you think and tell me whats good so far or anything that comes to mind. Thanks for listening!

I like the overall arrangement and the backing track. It could use some production TLC though, I think it's maybe drowned a bit too much in reverb (and hence sounds distant) and, for example, the open hihats in the second half are way too loud. Since it's a WIP, you might be aware of that though.

Typically, for tracks like this I find you can get away with Shreddage for rhythm guitars quite well, for leads... not so much. If you can, try to collab with a guitarist that can perform and record the lead for you. I've found that collaborations can be a lot of fun, as well as an educational experience and in general make the music better. And since I've enjoyed what you did with the arrangement, it would be a shame not to try and finish it and make it the best it can be :)

Good luck with the last stretch, and don't forget to have fun!

2 hours ago, Jorito said:

I like the overall arrangement and the backing track. It could use some production TLC though, I think it's maybe drowned a bit too much in reverb (and hence sounds distant) and, for example, the open hihats in the second half are way too loud. Since it's a WIP, you might be aware of that though.

Typically, for tracks like this I find you can get away with Shreddage for rhythm guitars quite well, for leads... not so much. If you can, try to collab with a guitarist that can perform and record the lead for you. I've found that collaborations can be a lot of fun, as well as an educational experience and in general make the music better. And since I've enjoyed what you did with the arrangement, it would be a shame not to try and finish it and make it the best it can be :)

Good luck with the last stretch, and don't forget to have fun!

Thank you! If anyone wants to jump in on leads I'll gladly take applications :). Yeah I have to admit the compressor and reverb are a bit too much, after hearing it with 2 sets of headphones and 2 stereos, I was able to pick up on more of the faults with the sounds. I have never successfully collaborated with anyone (and it is due to my lack of knowledge on where to begin and with what resources). Its far from finished and I am looking forward to more input and Ideas. If anyone wants to track on it, i will create stems on my google drive eventually to share.

I do the bulk of my mixing on headphones, and I've learned that you've got to be careful when judging reverb when on headphones; it's easy to apply too much reverb and it becomes quickly noticeable if you listen back on speakers.

As for collaborations, I seem to be the odd one (in that I do a _lot_ of collaborations) and it's usually me asking and actively recruiting people rather than the other way around. The workshop link in the menu can be a good resource to find people to collaborate with, as you can search by skill/instrument there. As to finding a guitarist, normally you can't throw a stone without hitting at least 3 guitar players, but on OCR they seem to be in hiding or running away from me, since I haven't been that successful in finding a willing guitarist here lately... Maybe they think I smell funny :P