Digimon World - Final Battle (Vs Machinedramon) [Outrun Remix]

Vercetti Fade

Hey all! This is my first remix that I'm posting to OCRemix, and its from one of my favourite games from my childhood, Digimon World for the PlayStation 1.

So, here is my remix, going for a retrowave/outrun inspired sound. EDIT: After the feedback, I've made a few changes with making the melody more varied, and adjusted the more chiptuney synth for clarity. I've also changed the mastering, I felt it was too loud, and after using a loudness meter I've adjusted it to around -1.5dB overall for streaming purposes. The Soundcloud file is an mp3 here too. When I submit to the site, it'll be WAV.

Here is the original piece:

Kinda worth noting that it is essentially a 30-40 second loop that I've tried to turn into something more expansive and interesting. Anyway...

Edited by Vercetti Fade
Revised version

A three minute arrangement of a 20ish second loop? Ambitious! I think you did pretty well at adding new interpretations to the source as you went (yay for solo, yay for arpeggios and such) but I think that the melody is at risk of becoming a little repetitive by the 2 1/2 minute mark or so, mainly because the the song has gone through it's melody loop about 4 times in the whole thing. I might suggest that after the fun ornamentation section (ending about 1:25) you could try taking the melody and making some notable changes to it for the rest of the piece to maintain a hook on the listener.

I also noticed that the melody becomes really hard to hear every time you do the 0:14-0:17 part of the original (where the normal synth gives way to the dist guitar lead for a few seconds). I think it's because the melody lead may be playing in it's lower range, therefore becoming harder to hear. I'd suggest either bouncing it up an octave or letting another instrument do the part so it can really stand out. Other that, I'd say you've got a pretty cool piece here. A nice shout out to the good 'ol Digimon.

Souperion, thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you like it! 

After listening a few times, I can see what you mean by the repetitive nature of the melody, so I've made a couple of revisions to it. I also enhanced the clarity of the leads, and for the 0.14-0.17 part you mentioned, I raised it by an octave. I tried other instruments, but I've grown fond of that chiptune esque synth and cant let it go. I feel its much better now. Its also slightly quieter, as it was too loud for streaming services after I checked, so it would get distorted and compressed if released. It sits at around -1.5dB now.