Playstation Classic - Announced

Meteo Xavier

I like how people in the comments are complaining about "only" 20 games. Like, you guys know the size of a PS1 game compared to an NES one, and the licensing nightmare re releasing a console consisting of mostly third-party titles probably is, right?

Anyway, as much as I love the PS1 (and it'd be rad if they follow up with a mini PS2), the first "next-gen" console I ever had, I just can't get bring myself to buy one of these mini consoles. I'm sure the nostalgia would wear off quickly.

But I'm still glad they're keeping them alive all the same.

31 minutes ago, Gario said:

I wonder if the console will be mod-able, like the NES classic and SNES classic are.

It'd probably be easier to mod a PSP to do that. That thing is the best PS1 emulator ever made, you can get one cheap and it's relatively easy to mod.

I likely won't have a need for a PS Classic, but my mind could easily change under the right circumcisions.

21 minutes ago, Meteo Xavier said:

It'd probably be easier to mod a PSP to do that. That thing is the best PS1 emulator ever made, you can get one cheap and it's relatively easy to mod.

Well, sure - we used to own a PSP (the battery went bad, kinda ruined the system), and if I really wanted to I own an OUYA (yup, I do still use it) that runs Playstation games to an alright degree.

Just sayin' if I'm going to own one of these anyway, I'd like to put whatever games I want on the darn thing. :P

On 9/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

I like how people in the comments are complaining about "only" 20 games. Like, you guys know the size of a PS1 game compared to an NES one, and the licensing nightmare re releasing a console consisting of mostly third-party titles probably is, right?

It really depends on what those games are. I think the licensing nightmare is part of why 20 sounds underwhelming to some people, it might not be likely for Sony to get all the classics that haven't seen modern re-releases so 20 games might be far less than 20 that were really sought after.

The original no sticks controller is also a weird choice that has fueled speculation about what games might not be included. Hopefully you can use a PS4 controller with it or something

• 1 month later...

Full list of games: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/29/announcing-playstation-classics-full-lineup-of-20-games/

Japanese version trades out

• Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal

for

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Saga Frontier
  • Devil Dice
  • G-Darius
  • Parasite Eve

9 hours ago, Pipez said:

Full list of games: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/29/announcing-playstation-classics-full-lineup-of-20-games/

Japanese version trades out

• Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal

for

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Saga Frontier
  • Devil Dice
  • G-Darius
  • Parasite Eve

Love some Destruction Derby.  That, Wild Arms, Twisted Metal and BAT make this a must buy imo.

Glad we are getting the original Twisted Metal and not the pure garbage that was TM 3 and 4...  

On 10/30/2018 at 4:45 PM, Meteo Xavier said:

Good lord, SaGa Frontier.

Have fun figuring THAT game out, folks...

(It's a fun and less unforgiving game than others in the series, it just doesn't really make any sense or is unfinished)

One of my favorite JRPGs.  I must have played through it dozens of times.  The learning curve was quite steep, though, especially when I was a sophomore in high school when it first came out.  American audiences tend to have more difficulty with that much of an open-ended game, though, which explains why it did so much poorer here than in Japan (where it remains among one of the top selling Square products for the PS One).

• 4 weeks later...

So it looks like an issue has popped up.  Several games will be in their PAL version form, for some reason.  These include:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
  • Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6

21 minutes ago, Pipez said:

So it looks like an issue has popped up.  Several games will be in their PAL version form, for some reason.  These include:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
  • Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6

o god no... 

I played a PAL version of RE2 a long time ago and the whole game felt like it was in slow motion when compared to the NTSC version. I'm still going to get the thing but now as a glorified paperweight if this is true. 

Part of me suspects that Sony left it that easy to emulate on purpose given how much more useful these Classic systems become once you're able to load your own ROMs to it, though that idea is doused as I hear Sony totally rushed to bring the Classic to stores for Christmas.

The Japanese set looks really intriguing to me as it has a lot more RPG material to work with, but I don't read Japanese and one of them RPGs is SaGa Fronter - a fun game that was similarly rushed and doesn't actually add up to anything once you finish the seven stories on it. That game is hard to figure out in English, much less Japanese...