MegaMan 2 Password theme remix (name TBD)

Flurry of Flames

Hello OCRemix! I made a megaman 2 remix of the password theme. I got the idea from my tutor who's helping me out with all things music theory and production. I thought I would also post it here, and see if any of you would enjoy it or have some advice for a budding remixer/composer. What I was going for is an improv session with the source material while trying to go into different places as well with it. Thank you for anyone that reads this post, and hope you have a wonderful weekend. WARNING: I haven't mixed and mastered yet as I'm very green in those areas so please take that into consideration.

Here is the original version and my version. You only need to listen to the first 5 seconds of the source material. Thank you again!

• 2 weeks later...

Improv based on a 5 second tune? Love it! Catchy, smooth, and easy to hear the source all the way through, even with some really fun interpretations! I was ready for the intro to set the tone for the whole piece, but I was pleasantly surprised by the more upbeat sections. I could handle listening to this while I punch in a password. Heck, probably would sit there for a while to hear it all the way through before I hit start. Nice woik!

It's quite repetitive, but never annoyingly so, and with that I think half the battle is already won, so nice job on the arrangement! There are a lot of issues with your instrument/sample quality though, which maybe you're already aware of.

Two things jump to my ear first: Your snare drum has a washy, newspaper-y kind of reverb tail to it that should be dialed down/removed, or perhaps you could use a different snare altogether. It sounds like it was recorded with a phone or something, haha. No offense! It just sounds distracting. Your kick drum is also very thin, but if you're going with a large room, jazz kinda thing, maybe that's not a big deal. 

The other is that, even with a second piano playing chords, drums, and bass guitar, the lead piano is still way louder in the mix during the fast parts, despite the fact that's only playing one note at a time. It makes for a fake sounding kind of balance in your instruments, which sometimes is neither here nor there, because hey, it's art, but in this case I really think the "rhythm" piano could have more prominence in the mix, because there's some harmonies happening in there that I'd like to hear more.

Also, the levels drop around 1:40, which sounds odd, because the last few chords are still played pretty hard. A piano is a very percussive instrument, what with all those tiny hammers in there, and as such, one can really be expressive with dynamic range. Maybe you'll want to just play softer/lower your velocities to get that real dynamic feel, rather than just turning down the volume?

On the positive side, like I said, the piano is simple but still melodic enough. I especially enjoy the interplay at 1:20.