[GRMRB] [2018] Round 4 & 5

DarkeSword

Round 5  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Fire Man vs. Air Man

• Mak Eightman - Not Orion (Fire Man vs. Air Man)
    • Arceace - Slapdash Man (Air Man vs. Fire Man)

The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle

Voting for Round 4 is not required, as both matchups only had one entry submitted. Jamphibious and Garpocalypse automatically advance.

Voting for Round 5 has begun. The matchups are as follows:

Remixer and Source VS Remixer and Source
Arceace - Air Man vs Mak Eightman - Fire Man

Download the remixes from Round 4 & 5

• The most important thing to consider when voting is how well the remix incorporates and arranges both themes. Production and enjoyability should also be considered, but this is primarily an arrangement competition.
  • Everyone is allowed (and encouraged) to vote, including competitors.
  • Everyone must adhere to the Competitions Code of Conduct.

Please use this thread for remix reviews and feedback!

• DarkeSword changed the title to [GRMRB] [2018] Round 4 & 5

I really enjoyed all 4 songs across these two rounds! It was REALLY really tough voting between Mak and Arceace. A few quick thoughts:

Gar: a really solid entry from you! I thoroughly enjoyed the instrumentation - the plucked strings, flute, Asian pipe thingy, the minimalist percussion - everything really clicked for me. Curious, was that Asian wind instrument thing a one-shot sample/loop or a VST? I loved the way it sounded, but I noticed as the song went on the articulation and attack seemed to be the same each time it played, so I was thinking it was a sample. It was more noticeable towards the end. It fit great regardless though.

JAMF:  totally digging the vibe here. I loved the interplay between the two themes, the Flash Man main melody really complemented the other melody. I really got into the 1:20 section with the bass taking the lead there for a little and the key changes / modulations. Really fun stuff.

Mak:  this was my favorite track of yours thus far from the compo! I thought you handled the two themes well. Air Man can be a little tricky to integrate, but it seemed to fit really well here playing off the Fire Man main melody. The guitar solo around 2:45 and the bridge section right thereafter were killer, nice work! The mix sounded a little muddy, but overall was very solid!

Arceace:  Whoa, I was not expecting a solo piano mix! It could have come across as hastily thrown together, but I think you made plenty of variations on the melodies to make it your own - especially with how you wove the two themes together. The humanization of the piano was solid enough, especially given the time constraints. A little short, but overall the arrangement steals the show on this one and bravo for trying something different!

58 minutes ago, SuperiorX said:

I really enjoyed all 4 songs across these two rounds! It was REALLY really tough voting between Mak and Arceace. A few quick thoughts:

Gar: a really solid entry from you! I thoroughly enjoyed the instrumentation - the plucked strings, flute, Asian pipe thingy, the minimalist percussion - everything really clicked for me. Curious, was that Asian wind instrument thing a one-shot sample/loop or a VST? I loved the way it sounded, but I noticed as the song went on the articulation and attack seemed to be the same each time it played, so I was thinking it was a sample. It was more noticeable towards the end. It fit great regardless though.

It's the Emulator II Shakuhachi which was a patch used in a lot of 80's music like the start of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer and Sadeness from Enigma and a sound I wanted for awhile. I finally was able to get it when I picked up UVI's Vintage Collection which includes all of their retro synth romplers. My only problem with UVI's EMU II Shakuhachi patch is that it's fairly limited and unflexible due to the sample used in the rompler not having much of an attack. Fast passages don't sound like anything regardless of the attack settings on the interface.  Sustains though sound ok though and you know how much I like those :). 

For this competition I aimed to emphasize one retro synth with each mix.  My round 6 entry makes use of the Fairlight CMI IIX rompler. 

glad you enjoyed it!