The Best Video Games of This Decade

AngelCityOutlaw

I know we have still one year to go before this would truly make sense, but to hell with it:

Out of any video game released this decade, which one would you say was the best that you played?

I haven't played too many games in the 2010s, but I'm going cast the super-predictable vote for The Glitcher 3: Wild Hunt. I haven't read the novels (though I did read the short stories a looong time ago) and I just loved the story, characters, and world in Witcher. The first game was "meh", the second was "better but still not there" and the third was awesome. I love that every side quest is actually interesting and its own story unto itself. My last wish would be that there weren't so damn many glitches.

ga4wayho5to39mzvdoq9.gif

Your turn, and I know you're lurking, old timers.

This decade?

Seconding The Witcher 3.  First game had charm and a fantastic soundtrack but wasn't all there. I remember towards the end of the game it would crash about every 30 seconds. The second game was fun but felt too small. The third game made me remember what it was like to have a game that resonated so well with you which I had not experienced since I first played FFVII all those years ago.  (it's awesome not overrated)

Runner Up would be Overwatch i guess. Didn't want to play that game at all the first time I I saw it but somehow I managed to sink almost 500 hours of my time on this planet since it launched.

Soldier 76 for life. 

oh and uhh freedom planet... because it's better than undertale. :)

Loads of variety on the best of this decade - says a lot about the quality of games that have come out over that time.

In this decade, I don't think I've played a game that has had quite as much impact on me as Persona 5 - the art, the music, the story, the characters - that game is just phenomenal on every single front. If y'all haven't given that game a shot do yourself a favor and get on it, possibly the best RPG I've ever played.

4 hours ago, Gario said:

Loads of variety on the best of this decade - says a lot about the quality of games that have come out over that time.

In this decade, I don't think I've played a game that has had quite as much impact on me as Persona 5 - the art, the music, the story, the characters - that game is just phenomenal on every single front. If y'all haven't given that game a shot do yourself a favor and get on it, possibly the best RPG I've ever played.

I really wanted to say this one too, I don't think I've ever played a game that's just so amazing in every single aspect. And it's in my favorite genre of game - the JRPG. I absolutely love how the game tackles some extremely dark themes without taking itself too seriously. A lot of JRPG's tend to fall flat in this area, and it was refreshing to see it done well here.

I do wish it would have gone deeper into the villains' backstories, but I think it did well enough.

A lot of great games have already been named. I was going to list a few of my favorite, but I quickly realized it would be too skewed towards the last games I played, and also not really original (Hollow Knight, The Witcher 3, etc... You don't need me to tell you these games are great ^^)

But for me, the most influencial game of the decade is clearly Dark Souls. Is it the best? Probably not. But man, this game has redifine some of the industry standard, from the difficulty player were willing to tackle to the cryptic storytelling.

I like simple stuff that you can play for hours and hours with friends. I'll say Rocket League.

Edit: And from the opposite end of the spectrum, Papers, Please.

I haven't played a megaton of modern games by any means, but these are so excellent I can't imagine them not being at the top of the pile regardless.

Edited by evktalo
Papers, Please

I have to say the Mass Effect trilogy. Alright, I know the first one came out in 2007, but the other two were released this decade (with ME2 being my favorite). It had its flaws and you can feel about that ending however you want, but I've rarely played a game which such immersion and focus on characters. And I really think the trilogy effect (that your choices affect the next game) is a big part of that.

Hmmm, I liked Borderlands 2 a lot. Still play it even though it came out in late 2012.

It's still highly replayable, even after trying all the characters out.

And the amount of good, purchase-worthy DLC alone is a point in it's favor. You had four full campaigns, each with new characters, weapons, monsters, enemies and locations. Then you had two totally different playable characters, each one worth the price. Toss in six really well pulled off holiday-themed mini-campaigns with even more stuff to do... you get about 100 hours of stuff to do.

Seconded (third-ed?) for Dark Souls, for the aforementioned reasons. The first half of it, up until you can teleport between bonfires, was really the first time playing a game since my early teens where I felt truly dropped into another place. And the whole "gambling" with your souls mechanic...should I keep going into this cave, or bail out and bank my points? I got shellacked by enemies and bosses so many dozens of times and lost so many dozens of thousands of souls, but kept going, because whatever I uncovered next would have it all be worth it.

I'll give Stardew Valley an honorable mention too, because that was the first game probably since RE 4 ages ago where I was TRULY addicted. Very charming, very chill, some great music. I had to give my copy away though. Put like 120 hours into it in 5 weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...