Decent vocals microphone?

Whipsmack

I'm actually looking for a mic that can be used for multiple purposes.

1) Possible attachment to a boom mic

2) Vocals for narration and music

3) General instruement recording.

Basically for something of this nature it would have to be directional, so that it doesn't pick up sounds behind the mic. Something that they would use in boom mics for filming movies.

I remember doing some research on this many years ago and almost bought a shure microphone. But I wasn't "shure" which model it was hee hee. :)

Any advice would be excellent.

Thanks!

If you just want to record acoustic instruments, a cardioid condensers mic might be better than a SM57. If you want to close mic like brass or do amplified electric instruments, go with the SM57 or something similar.

Agreed for the most part. It really depends on the what you are going for and what instruments might be interested in recording. SM57 is used a lot in live performance for bands(for both accoustic and electric. However, they are also good for rythmic setups as well. Such as drum sets(aside from your kick)

I'd just like to add to my previous post that a condenser mic is going to sound better, more live and transparent than a dynamic like the SM57 due to better frequency response, especially at the high end. However (if I've got my mic types correct), very loud sounds can damage a condenser mic. A dynamic you can plonk down in front of pretty much anything and it can probably handle the SPL's.

As a rule of thumb, you don't want to use a condenser to close mic something that you wouldn't put your ear up against, like loud amplifiers, a snare drum... so in terms of what instruments an SM57 can handle, it's more versatile, but a good condenser will sound better on stuff it's suited for.

I'd just like to add to my previous post that a condenser mic is going to sound better, more live and transparent than a dynamic like the SM57 due to better frequency response, especially at the high end. However (if I've got my mic types correct), very loud sounds can damage a condenser mic. A dynamic you can plonk down in front of pretty much anything and it can probably handle the SPL's.

As a rule of thumb, you don't want to use a condenser to close mic something that you wouldn't put your ear up against, like loud amplifiers, a snare drum... so in terms of what instruments an SM57 can handle, it's more versatile, but a good condenser will sound better on stuff it's suited for.

QFE

I would suggest looking into the ATM450. The recording engineer who I intern for suggested them to me, and he was right to do so. They sound great and they're reasonbly priced for this type of a mic. Just make sure you have a mixer or preamp that can supply phantom power.

One thing about condenser mics, if you're going to get one make sure you have a decent place to record it. A decent condenser will pick up pretty much ever noise in your room (even the ones you didn't know existed...).

For your purposes I would agree that a SM57 would probably be the best choice since you're more so looking for an all purpose mic. However, I would agree with Zircon that have a several different mics to choose from would be ideal if you could manage it, since all mics have different strengths.

• 8 months later...

Well i've been reading about this a bit and definetly the condenser is what I want.

However im trying to determine if I should get the Rode NTG-1 which happens to be a Directional Condenser Shotgun Microphone. Its intended purpose for film and video. How am I to know how well it would do for vocals and instruments :( Budget wise I cannot afford BOTH. Maybe if all the accesories came with these mic's I could afford them, but the accesories and cables add another $100+ BLAH!

Year old post hah, better then making a new post I guess.

WEll, the sm57 is primarily used as an instrument mic, the sm58 is better suited for vocals. But again, it depends. Most of the vocals you've heard in albums, movies and other recordings are done on those big condenser mics, the ones that cost about $5000+. If you're looking into condenser mics you're opening a whole 'nother can of worms.

But for what you want to do, a Shure sm58 is perfect for you.