OCR03989 - *YES* Chrono Cross "Jupiter Jellie" *PROJECT*

Gario

Remixer: Avaris
Shaun Wallace

Chrono Cross
Jellyfish Sea

Title: Jupiter Jellie

**** This is for the CC project. If accepted, please do not post until project is released.

My main inspiration for this track was to create a moody laidback soundscape that paid homage to the original. As I was experimenting with different ideas I came across a lot of older trip hop songs. I felt the shuffled beats sounded super fresh. So I programmed a trip hop beat over the ambient bed of sonic textures. I instantly loved the vibe. From there, I reworked the song to highlight the hazey/ambient vibe with old school trip hop drums. Added in some ethereal vocals and you got yourself some Jupiter Jellie.

Happy holidays!

• 3 months later...
  • DarkeSword changed the title to 2018/01/04 - (1Y) Chrono Cross 'Jupiter Jellie'
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard several revisions of this now, via the project, which is why I held off on voting at first.  The lo-fi sounds are still not my cup of tea, and 3:39 sounds like an error.  The rest is clearly intentional and my issue with it is mostly my personal preference.  It's a smooth arrangement, and the issues I had with earlier versions have been addressed.  I think that one sound needs to be fixed, but otherwise I think this passes muster.

YES (Conditional)

Beautiful textures and ambiance.  I do like the lo-fi loop with the loose timing, even though it may seem like it will get old at first as it's only a 2-bar drum loop, the artist cuts and extra fills here and there.  I was actually getting into the loop manipulation so much that I lost track of what the track was doing in terms of melody and arrangement, which means I had to go through the track a couple more times.  It didn't get old.

Pretty good stuff overall, chill listen with some interesting elements for those who listen closely.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/01/04 - (2Y/1C) Chrono Cross 'Jupiter Jellie'
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2018/01/04 - (3Y/1C) Chrono Cross 'Jupiter Jellie'
  • 3 months later...

It's a safe arrangement - but with a source that relies on just a combination of ambiance, bass and the occasional piano, the BGM is made to be played safe.  A lot of the interest for the arrangement indeed goes through additional pads, manipulation of the sampled drums and lo-fi hip hop direction, contributing even more to the moody foundation of the source material.  This kind of hip hop is an acquired taste, but it's suitable for Avaris's vision, and I commend him for it.

Even with the crazy effects out of the picture, I sense clarity among the instruments - and with the drum loop and bass put aside, I can hear that appropriate wetness among the other parts, so great use of developing an ambient space.  Unfortunately, I'm also with MindWanderer in thinking the distortion at 3:39 isn't meant to be there - and that's saying something considering everything that drum loop had gone through.

Nevertheless, I'm all for seeing this on the front page, but I'd like to see an answer from Avaris regarding that distortion.  It's not a deal breaker at all for me, but it sucks for any artist to get a mix posted that has errors gone unnoticed.

[EDIT: 10/10 - Actually, the more I thought about it, the more I realized the pop wasn't as bad in the big picture.  Hearing it again, I'm realizing it's able to fit in well with the other glitch work here and I've come to terms with seeing it on the front page.  We the panel are sorry for holding up the vote for so long!]

YES

Edited by Rexy

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03989 - *YES* Chrono Cross "Jupiter Jellie"
  • Rexy locked this topic