OCR03848 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Buy or Bye"

Gario

Remixer Name: Nostalvania

Name of game: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Name of arrangement: Buy Or Bye
Name of individual song: Shop theme 

Remix: 

Hi OCR!

I'm back with another ReMix, and this time it's really something different. I actually made an early version of this track some time ago. It originally was meant to be like a parody of the shop theme from Ocarina of Time (Honestly, i just can't take that source seriously lol). 
Anyway, i always had the feeling that this has more potential than just to be a parody. Then i started to rework the track, added more variation in general and improved the mixing. The result is a funny mix of EDM, german folk music, polka, reggae and chiptunes. Admitted, it still kinda sounds like a spoof, that doesn't mean i wasn't serious about the musical aspects, though. I tried to keep it interesting by using different instrumentation, tempo changes, changing between binary and ternary feeling, key changes (four of them) and a nice accordion solo at the end.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/07/04 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Buy or Bye'

Nice to see Markus go outside his jazz comfort zone; the instrumentation could be richer and more sophisticated-sounding, as the blatty brass and the bass parts in particular sounded pretty thin. That said, I was just listening to another submission where weaker-sounding samples had little body and this was an example instead of coming through with solid enough, filled out textures that helped mitigate the realism issues. Would have liked for the initial claps to be more substantial, as they felt pretty flimsy, along with the core beat being basic, but the overall interpretation was an easy pass. Good stuff, Markus!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/07/04 - (1Y) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Buy or Bye'
  • 1 month later...

What an interesting combination of potentially-serious EDM and super silly brass and accordion, all well executed and ultimately giving this a cute comic flare.  I like the total change of pace at 1:55 to a somewhat reggae groove.  Oh, a trucker's gear shift haha!  Nice bitcrushing.  Oh wait, a second gear shift!  And a third!  Ok this is super fun, love it.  I feel like shopping for bombs now.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2018/07/04 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Buy or Bye'

The new age-esque intro doesn't really match up with the rest of the arrangement, especially since there's a second intro of sorts after it.  There's no melody until the mix is over 25% in.  I think this would be stronger with the first 30-36 seconds simply lopped off.

Other than that, this is a lot of fun and I don't have any notable concerns.  The result is exactly what it says on the label.  Nice work.

YES

• 1 month later...

Hmm odd intro, it almost feels like the initial arp intro leads into a different song.  That's one small oddity though compared to the rest of the song which combines EDM elements with some things like trombones and accordions, for interesting and funny results.  This track is a pretty fun listen for sure, with all the timing changes and silly instrumentation.  Production is clean and source usage is good, so I have no problems with this going up.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2018/07/04) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Buy or Bye"
  • Liontamer locked this topic