The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Song of Healing (Solo Piano Arrangement)

Dcapo89

Hey guys!

I just recently finished up this little solo piano arrangement of Song of Healing from Majora's Mask and thought I would share it with you all. I realize this is an insanely popular piece for people to remix/cover, but it's such a special piece, but I think the tune is so malleable and it was fun to try and do something different with it. I originally had made something far more virtuosic and flashy but it didn't fit the intimate feel of the original. I instead opted for something more subdued and "pretty". I added a little intro and outro based on some of the original harmonic material and I think it works as a nice framing device for the piece. At first I keep the tune fairly traditional, but ended up gradually adding some of my own personal flourishes throughout. Hope you guys enjoy it. Let me know what you think. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3NexJ5G1dg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this rendition, Dcapo. It's restrained, but your chord choices and the varied speed/velocity of your playing are bringing a ton of emotion. I think your choice to avoid "flashy/virtuosic" was a very good one here. Touches like the quick little runs at 1:44 bring a playful yet somehow appropriate counterpoint to the melancholy mood. This to me mirrors the mood of Majora's Mask itself very nicely, which is a game that's at times deeply sad and at others more mischievous and light-hearted.

I'm liking your explorations from 2:35 'till the end as well - the Ghibli-like quality mentioned by one of your Youtube commenters seems especially evident here. That's a good thing; I think Zelda and Ghibli music have a good amount in common and the styles go well together.

This song has always elicited a strong emotional response from me, and I'd say your version here moves me at least as much as the original - perhaps even more. Thanks for sharing it!