Frets on Fire

Effector

Just wondered who all played FoF. I know that supremespleen plays, and I've seen Dhsu's name associated with a FoF version of Awe of She somewhere.

For those of you who don't know, Frets on Fire is a free spin-off of Guitar Hero (1 and 2) for PS2. You hold your keyboard upside-down with the keys facing out from you, and use the F1 - 5 keys for frets and the Enter key to pick. You can get it here, with additional songs here.

Also, if I understand right, with a copy of GH2, you can get all the songs from the game into FoF. I heard that it can take 8+ hours, though, and wonder if anyone here has tried it.

From chatlog because I'm too lazy to type it again:

(9:15:59 PM) me: download the guitar hero 1 pack

(9:16:07 PM) me: activate the 'chilly' mod

(9:16:15 PM) me: and then get more stuff here:

(9:16:19 PM) me: http://songsonfire.co.nr/

(9:16:31 PM) me: also fretsonfire.net has songs in their forums

edit: some of the GH2 songs are kinda buggy to play, there are issues with the rhythm tracks. some are fine, though.

I'm the one what got Spleen into it. Also, the GH1 and 2 tracks have been ripped and uploaded various places, you can find a torrent somewhere...GH2 have problems with with balance, though. personally, I like www.fretsonfire.net for getting new songs. Gotta sign up.

I use a mini keyboard, with holes cute out of the side. The I put some K'nex pieces in, and I attached my strap to it.

The link is broken for me. I downloaded this a long time ago, when it first came out, but there were no songs on it, so I abandoned it. I recently played GHII at my local Wal-Mart (while waiting for the Wii), and I got interested again. Unfortunately, every time I try to download it, it breaks. :cry:
Maybe tomorrow Smedricks or me will upload it somewhere else.

The link is broken for me. I downloaded this a long time ago, when it first came out, but there were no songs on it, so I abandoned it. I recently played GHII at my local Wal-Mart (while waiting for the Wii), and I got interested again. Unfortunately, every time I try to download it, it breaks. :cry:
Maybe tomorrow Smedricks or me will upload it somewhere else.

That would be most good.

I found nice FTP with pretty much any song for FoF ever, as well as some good mods - including a few for augmenting the miss sounds (yay!). Also has custom labels for most if not all the songs, which is a nice change from the all-blue tapes.

Host: ftp.cry-freedom.com

ID: FoF

PW: guitar

I'd imagine this would work better with a Guitar Hero controller and a PSX-USB converter, assuming it can be set up to use it.

I'm sure it's totally possible, the hardest part would be having the game recognize the controller as keystrokes (while customizing the controls).

I'd imagine this would work better with a Guitar Hero controller and a PSX-USB converter, assuming it can be set up to use it.

Yeah, it's compatible for the GH controller.

This game is pretty frickin' fun. The fan-created songs have a lot of tracks that I've said to myself, "This would be great for Guitar Hero!" Best of all, I've got something to keep me busy during Christmas break.

Not so much OCR, but I have seen some Minibosses songs fretted out as well as some of Crush 40's songs and the Advent Children version of One Winged Angel (even though all the orchestration is fretted out, not just the guitar). There's one remixer out there by the name of Sectoid who frets out his own remixes and drops out the guitar parts in true Guitar Hero fashion. Some of OCR's guitar remixers need to post guitarless version of their mixes for this purpose, just like the people who've made Stepmania versions of ReMixes.

Speaking of which, I'm working on fretting out Wizards in Winter by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra using a guitarless mix the band released for a contest. All I need is someone to make me a cassette label, and I'll be ready to post my first version of it here. I only have Supaeasy done now, but I spent a lot of time on it, and I think it's perfect.

Oh god, just played Guitar Hero 1+2 yesterday for the first time ever.. MAN! It kicks so much ass that my pants have a hole on the backside.

I had to check this one out too and it kicks engough ass to be a great substitute for the real thing. And if its compatible with the GH controller... YUMMY!

Gotta get more songs for this thing.

I also thought my Dark Side of the Phobos track "Hangarmageddon" would maybe suit this one well. So if anyone is interested in making it, I can provide the guitar track and the song.

Oh god, just played Guitar Hero 1+2 yesterday for the first time ever.. MAN! It kicks so much ass that my pants have a hole on the backside.

I had to check this one out too and it kicks engough ass to be a great substitute for the real thing. And if its compatible with the GH controller... YUMMY!

Gotta get more songs for this thing.

I also thought my Dark Side of the Phobos track "Hangarmageddon" would maybe suit this one well. So if anyone is interested in making it, I can provide the guitar track and the song.

ABSOLUTELY SEND ME NOWZ. PLXX.